My PC just died

Looking at the video you made I see it says ‘No Video Available’:- Is the SATA cable being pinched to the GPU?

If you don’t mind me asking what mobo did you purchase? Are the fan’s running?

New or used mobo this should work.

How To Test A New Motherboard

Removing the cmos battery is a good idea. :smiley:

2 Likes

With regard to my original board, it blue-screened, restarted and none of the 4 drives were detected anymore so I think it’s more than just a broken joint on a port. I have a 4x PCI-E SATA card but using it would mean doing without a graphics card.

The new board is a Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 rev 1.1

3 Likes

OK, that was weird… it was the PSU.

The PSU from that PC is a CoolerMaster 700W - it (Still) powers my old m/b just fine but with the new board falls over after a few seconds. I replaced it with a generic unbranded 750W unit and the board works fine.

Well, just gotta put everything back together - the daughter is in Denmark at the moment so she’ll never know her PC has been in pieces.

2 Likes

Hmmm…did you also try the new powersupply in the board with the dead SATA ports to see if it might wake them up?

Yep, original board has no working SATA port. Actully, I’m in a mood this morning… Starting reassembling the PC:

Why, oh why do they have to put the SATA ports there… At least 2 are almost accessible - don’t know about the other 4 though.

3 Likes

Well it’s all working again. Not its final configuration but close enough - just need to fit the proper graphics cards and the water cooling. Needs putting back in the cabinet too.

looks good - https://youtu.be/6Pg4QSF8ZpE

2 Likes

Glad to see you got it working again.

Was the old PSU not enough power for the newer mobo?

Here’s the link for your Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3: Manual (could come in handy later)

No the old PSU should have coped without problem - it was having problem powering the m/b, cou and memory without anything else connected. The old mother with the same cpu and ram was fine. Surprisingly, I tried the PSU in my server (it has 7 hard drives) and it worked fine.

It appear that particular motherboard and that particular PSU just don’t get along together. Still, at least PSUs arn’t the most expensive to replace.

It has left me thinking though. At some point I’m going to have to replace the motherboard/CPU/RAM and I’m left wondering what CPUs are actually faster than a 10 year old 4790k @ 5GHz. After reading about intell latest and greatest it appears they’ve concentrated on the integrated graphics more than the x86 core - which obviously doesn’t make much difference if you have a graphics card.

Which I giess, also leads me to think I need to get rid of the Radeon. The EmuDriver make connecting to a 15k monitor so much easier than the alternative (I haven’t look in a couple of years), but when I was testing, the only way I could get an Nvidia card to drive the CRT was to connect a VGA monitor, then swap the cable to the CRT after the machine had booted. I think nvidia drivers check the EDID data more frequently than AMD. Maybe one of those DDC emulator dongles might do the job.

So that PSU and that mobo just didn’t play well together. I get it.

I had to purchase a new GPU in the past because my desktop was so slow. So I installed a PSU with more watts and the desktop moved considerably faster.

Enjoy!

Quite a number of CPUs available in the last 6 years are considerably faster than your overclocked 4790K in almost every aspect of computing.

Time has marched on and competition has begun to fuel innovation and progress once again after years of near stagnation on the CPU front in terms of core counts and IPC.

You can thank AMD for that.

Thought I’d update this thread. Finally got it all back together and working. The bonus is I managed to source an RTX 3060ti graphics card for free. The down side is that on this motherboard the 4790k will only run reliably at 4.8MHz. We now have 6 SATA ports so added a a couple more hard drives to get ~60TB of storage.

Mike

2 Likes