N64 content failing to load while using Vulkan

N64 content fails to load when using Vulkan as the video driver. Changing the driver to GL fixes the issue. The problem is I stream RA to my Steam Link, and the Link, for some reason, locks up when attempting to stream RA at all when using GL. It’s an unfortunate damn if I do, damn if I don’t situation. I know that N64 content worked with Vulkan before.

The issue is present with both Mupen64Plus and Parellel.

I don’t have this issue with any other ROM type besides N64.

Trying any other driver besides Vulkan or GL completely breaks the RA UI and I need to manually set it back to Vulkan or GL in retroarch.cfg to unbreak it.

Any ideas for me to try?

Angrylion wasn’t an option for the gfx plugin. Actually, the only option there was “parallel.” However, I think I found one problem.

When trying to load a game with Parallel, I think it was still loading in Mupen since the game I was trying to load was already set to Mupen in the Playlist*. I opened up my N64 playlist and manually replaced-all the two core lines with DETECT. I got a game to load with Vulkan using Parallel after that.

Now I just gotta see if it will play nice with the Steam Link.

Edit: Plays nice with the Steam Link. Parallel seems to have some weird noise in the picture, though. It’s most visible with screens fading to black. It’s not the Link since I’m seeing it on the host screen as well. Guess I’ll have to play around with that.

*Off topic: It seems like once a game has been loaded for the first time, it will always be loaded with that core after that and the only way I’ve found to change it is to manually go into the playlist and set those two lines to DETECT for that game. There wouldn’t happen to be an option somewhere in RA where you can just blanket reset all core associations within a system’s playlist, would there?

1 Like