New User: some questions

yeah, done, many many thanks! Well, when I will have to update to the next Retroarch version, I simply have to download the full pack, unzip it, and copy/paste from my current version the Retroarch.cfg file and the 3 folders cores, system, config, am I right?

Now i’m configuring 3 emulators, FBA Alpha Arcade for Neo Geo, bsnes_accuracy for SNES and NEstopia for NES.

Do you have any sugggestions for video filter and shaders? I made a lot of test, in my opinioni these are good settings in order to have a good crt effect but simultaneously a good image on a pc monitor:

FBA Arcade: Video Filter = 2xSaI and shaders = crt-royale- kurozumi.cgp BSNES_Accuracy: Video Filter = Blargg_NTSC_SNES_RGB and shaders = crt-royale- kurozumi.cgp or crt-hyllian.cgp or crt-easymode.cgp Nestopia: Video Filter = 2xBR and shaders = crt-royale- kurozumi.cgp or crt-hyllian.cgp or crt-easymode.cgp

What do you think? Do you have some good settings that i can try?

thank you!

Yeah, just copy over that stuff and the retroarch-core-options.cfg. Personally, I just download the nightly executable builds, which are only a few MB each, and then drop the executables over my old ones, leaving everything else intact. Occasionally you’ll need to re-download the “redist” library package, but that’s very rare (only when we update the toolchain on the buildbot or add a new dependency).

Those sound like pretty good settings to me :slight_smile:

many many thanks hunterk, you helped me a lot in order to understand very well how retroarch works. Previously I learned something reading some guided but i had a lot of doubts about the real settings and procedures. Now I know how to set up it and how to add emulators and roms :slight_smile:

1. Do you use retroarch for almost all emulators? for example i think that only few emulators are not included: Nintendo GameCube, Wii and Wii U and PC Engine FX and Playstation 2 emulators are missingg. But all the others I need i see that they are present in the core list. Probably the missing emulators will be added to the next Retroarch versions, i hope :slight_smile:

2. Do you use LaunchBox with Retroarch? I want to use it because it is a relly good front end, really better than Launchbox/Hypespin and more user friendly

1.) yeah, I use it for everything. A Dolphin core is planned but not ETA. The others aren’t even on the radar for various reasons (Cemu is closed-source, so that one’s out, PCSX2 isn’t portable enough). A Citra core will probably happen at some point, as well.

2.) I don’t use any launchers, since I do everything through RetroArch anyway.

thank you :slight_smile:

tomorrow i will continue to configure roms for these 3 emulators and then i will add others, for example Saturn and Dreamcast, they are supported I see

Hi

can you kindly tell me which is the right procedure to update Retroarch when it will be released a new version? I know that I have to dowload the full pack, unzip it and then I have to copy/paste some folders from my current version i order to maintain all my settings and so on? Someone tell me that there is an update tool named Stelle Updater?

thanks!

Typically, you can just download the datestamped nightly builds and copy the 2 executables (retroarch.exe and retroarch_debug.exe) into your existing RetroArch directory and overwrite the old ones (it’s a good idea to make backups, just in case).

ah ok for example today there is a little pack (8,8MB) with only these 2 files and i can overwrite them. But if I do this, I will have a not stable version of Retroarch, am I right?

And i see in Nightly section that there a re a lot of updated cores from the latest 1.4.0 stable version…I think that i can update cores directly from Retroarch, with the funcion Update Core, is it correct?

thanks

It’s not a stable release in that case, no, but our nightlies are usually relatively safe (though it’s good to make backups of your known-working executables just in case). And, yes, you can update your cores directly from RetroArch.

thanks! I think that usually i can update Retroarch only with stable release…i don’t need to update it very often…usually it is released a new stable version every 2 or 3 months…am i right?

hi guys

i would like to configure the Dreamcast emulator in Retroarch. Do you know if there is a video tutorial in order to configure it properly? Is it a good emulator with filters and options in order to have a similar crt tv effect ad other emulators as bsnes or FBA Arcade?

can you suggest a good video tutorial?

thanks!

HI

i have created with Retroarch playlist generator my complete rom set of my Nes games.
If I want to show the roms name with thei real name, i have to rename manually the .zip file before to create the playlist, am i right?

I mean: I want to see “Double Dragon II - The Revenge” and not " Double Dragon II - The Revenge USA) (Rev A)"

thanks!

I don’t know about RetroArch Playlist Generator, but in retroarch’s built-in scanner, the names come from the database, so you’d have to change it there (which is a major task).

thanks

i used the playlist generator because otherwise some games weren’t detected ny retroarch…only with the plalyst generatro i’m able to see all the games…if i use the normal retroarch built in scanner some games aren’t detected…

thanks!