NVidia Shield

It’s 44 to ~48fps on the iPad Mini/2 at 1024x768 for reference’s sake (2011 tech) - so probably not the greatest GL performance test imaginable.

Cranking up the Instancing Viewer to 2^32 cubes might be a better test for it. That’s ~30fps on the iPad 2/Mini at 1024x768. Input file is texture01.png from SH3 chapel.

Some PSX games like Medievil seem to use I/O a lot and audio stalls a lot … Threaded video driver fixes that though. Analog works too, yay. Also, the shader power of this thing is pretty decent. Even crazy shaders like SABR run at 10-15 fps. Dot and phosphor is fullspeed :p.

Hey, Maister. Does this thing run multipass shaders?

What’s the screen resolution?

It’s 720p. It can run multipass, ye, but it’s not exactly a desktop GPU …

So it’s best run at 3x scale max. Was that SABR speed taken at 3x?

If you have time, try xbr-lv2-multipass (just two passes), maybe you can get 25fps.

So there’s no way to map the Start and Back buttons on it’s face?

Bummer for Ape Escape then, since L3 is used to crawl and sneak up on monkeys, while R3 is used to shoot the net underwater.

How about adding in some core option in PCSX ReARMed where we memcpy the entire CD image into RAM? Shield has 2GB RAM so it should easily have at least 650MB free for that purpose. That could get rid of I/O stalls at least.

Excellent excellent impressions Maister! Keep 'em coming dude! :smiley:

How about adding in some core option in PCSX ReARMed where we memcpy the entire CD image into RAM? Shield has 2GB RAM so it should easily have at least 650MB free for that purpose. That could get rid of I/O stalls at least.[/quote]

That might help. Anyways, for things like SNES, 59.6 Hz is butter smooth actually. :smiley: Kinda annoying that we can’t really autodetect the refresh rate though … Anyways, threaded mode is playable to me as well.

Shield arrived today. I’ll be merging maister’s patches - hopefully we can roll out a new Android version on the Play Store tomorrow with Shield gamepad support included.

GRAWSOME

Performance-wise this thing leaves everything in the dust right now. It even plays Mednafen PSX at non-slideshow framerates. I’ll do some proper speed measurements with the various cores later on but so far this is one area where this thing delivers on the hype at least - VBA Next is fullspeed with both FF5 and FF6 so CPU-wise it’s already way better than PS3. I have yet to test shaders extensively - I’m expecting sub-Intel HD4K performance but even that would be very, very good for an Android-based ‘tablet’.

Bad thing about it - it’s Android - audio/video latency is still not right even though audio latency has vastly been improved - despite all the improvements it’s still quite bad compared to an iPad sad to say. You can avoid audio crackling by turning threaded video on but that will introduce jitter in video instead. It really depends on whether you can stomach frameskip-like tearing video - that’s what it basically comes down to. It is less than ideal in any case compared to just turning vsync on and having audio/video sync be mostly stable - iPads/iPhones sure as hell deliver there thanks to CoreAudio and iOS.

Best results for now is to enable threaded video and set ‘Forced refreshrate’ to 59.6 and put up with the jittering for now. Maister is going to look at some kind of adaptive jittering method for threaded video using timers - so we’ll see how this pans out.

Anyway - I can pretty much confirm by now that this issue is entirely related to Android and it is not hardware-related at all - this thing smokes every single ARM device under the sun right now but unfortunately the OS can’t deliver on tight emulator audio/video sync usecases - which is why for practical purposes an iPad 2/Mini could still beat it on that level. So for now - either you sacrifice non-tearing, non-jitter video or you sacrifice audio quality.

Hopefully at some point we can arrive at a ‘hack’ that can solve this problem for us on Android for most devices - it is a platform too big to ignore but at the same time it’s an OS too shit to be able to do the job properly through conventional means.

Excellent impressions and thanks for the report SP.

Too bad about the audio/video sync issues. Hopefully you guys can develop a quick and dirty hack to get around it.

Please test the following games to see if you can get 60fps rock solid with them:

MAME:

Tekken Tag Rave Racer San Francisco Rush The Rock: Alcatraz California Speed Cruisn’USA GTI Club Virtua Fighter 2 Virtua Racing

PS1:

Tekken Tag Tournament Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Hi-Spec Bonus Disc Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 Tony Hawk Underground Gran Turismo 2 Tobal 2

PSP(via the PPSSPP emu)

Ridge Racers Tekken 5 Disgaea Gran Turismo PSP WipEout Any other PSP games you can test out

None of those games even work on MAME 0.78 - and no, I’m not going to test other people’s stuff on this.

PS1:

Tekken Tag Tournament

Never existed on PS1.

All PS1 games on PCSX ReaRMed run at fullspeed - including with NEON enhanced resolution on.

Oh yeah my bad, I forgot Tekken only went up to Tekken 3 on PS1.

Cruisn’ USA is the only demanding game on MAME 0.78 I could try out of that list.

go 4 it :slight_smile:

Whats desmume like on the shield?

Mind = BLOWN

That looks awesome, for sure. It’s very unfortunate that Exo chose to go the closed-source, payware route :frowning:

Perhaps they will consider opening the source up after they make a chunk of money…