Odyssey 2 in MAME in Retroarch on Linux

Is it possible to use the Retroarch GUI to run Odyssey2 games in MAME rather than o2em? I want to be able to have the the “cart1” and “cart2” options specified for specific games to be able to utilize the voice box emulation.

So far I haven’t even been able to get Retroarch to load an Odyssey 2 game in MAME from the console, so ANY help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

It should be just like in this thread:

Thanks. I had seen that before, but already had a has file. I got the one from the source listed in that thread, though, and it worked. From the console and from the gui… but so far I have only been able to get it to work with the 1 cart for the game. getting 2 carts to work, utilizing the “voice” is still failing. I’m still fighting with that. Something in my systax of folder structure. not sure.

could you explain it a bit more, trying to follow the 2 carts thingy you are trying to run. like explained here? http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=359050&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Sure. And yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Now that I have the hash in the correct place and the correct software list roms, I can call…

retroarch -L ~/.config/retroarch/cores/mame_libretro.so ~/emulation/odyssey2/kckrazy.zip

and the game plays just fine.

I cannot seem to get the syntax write for -cart1 voice -cart2 /path/to/game.zip

For this to work you need to setup a folder structure similar to stand-alone MAME, thus system-folder/MAME/hash & system-folder/MAME/roms, where system-folder is where all RA’s bioses goes. in the hash folder all the mame hash file needs to go, and the roms need to go into the roms folder.

For odyssey2 you need to have odyssey2.zip (the bios) in the base rom dir, then underneath that you need a folder called odyssey2 with the romcollection named according to the hash file.

then you create a cmd file with the following in it:

odyssey2 -cart1 voice -cart2 timelord -rp /Games/retroarch/mame/roms/

just change the rp to point at your rom directory and everything should work like the stand alone

1 Like