OLD Gamepad Autoconfig Thread

@Timtrash I think the keycode numbers are what you need to put into the config file. You’ll also need the name your controller reports and, preferably, its vid:pid.

[QUOTE=hunterk;23126]@Timtrash I think the keycode numbers are what you need to put into the config file. You’ll also need the name your controller reports and, preferably, its vid:pid.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have typed out the info below - is this correct? I named the file SNES.cfg I don’t know how to find the name that the controller reports - when I run KeyTest it just says “Hello World, Key Test!” Can you advise on how to find that? Regards the VID and PID, the properties are given as follows:

USB\VID_081F&PID_E401&REV_0106 USB\VID_081F&PID_E401

input_device = “SNES” input_driver = “android” input_dpad_left = “21” input_dpad_up = “19” input_dpad_down = “20” input_dpad_right = “22” input_button_4 = “191” input_button_1 = “188” input_button_3 = “190” input_button_2 = “189” input_button_9 = “196” input_button_10 = “197” input_button_5 = “192” input_button_6 = “193”

Timtrash, plug in you gamepad first, then go to /proc/bus/input and open a file named ‘devices’. Scroll down until you see string with your device’s vendor and product id. Next line will be your pad’s name (see attached pic).

Copy it without quote marks and paste in your autoconfig file: input_driver = “pads_name”

[QUOTE=bl@ck_m@ge;23140]Timtrash, plug in you gamepad first, then go to /proc/bus/input and open a file named ‘devices’. Scroll down until you see string with your device’s vendor and product id. Next line will be your pad’s name (see attached pic).

Copy it without quote marks and paste in your autoconfig file: input_driver = “pads_name”[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks. It comes up as ‘USB gamepad’ With that in mind, I created a new autoconfig file called USB_gamepad.cfg - are the contents below correct? And if so, what should I do with it?

input_device = “USB_gamepad” input_driver = “android” input_up_btn = “h0up” input_down_btn = “h0down” input_left_btn = “h0left” input_right_btn = “h0right” input_button_4 = “191” input_button_1 = “188” input_button_3 = “190” input_button_2 = “189” input_button_9 = “196” input_button_10 = “197” input_button_5 = “192” input_button_6 = “193”

That looks correct. You’ll need the vid/pid in there, though, or it will conflict with the other generic "USB_gamepad"s. Whenever you’re ready to test it, find your autoconfig directory (I think it’s somewhere in /data/data/com.retroarch if you have root, or go into the menu and change it to something user-writeable in the settings > path/directory settings menu if you don’t have root) and drop it in there. The next time you start RetroArch, it should autodetect.

Thanks for your support, I just want to make sure where do I put the vid/pid inside the config file?

I think it can go anywhere, but you may as well put it near the top, under the device name.

input_vendor_id = whatever
input_product_id = whatever

[QUOTE=hunterk;23252]I think it can go anywhere, but you may as well put it near the top, under the device name.

input_vendor_id = whatever
input_product_id = whatever

[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy, I’ll try that!

Thanks…please can you help me identify where I should place the .cfg file in my tablet? I tried filing it in the same folder as my game ROMs. Then I went Retroarch > Settings > Paths > under SYSTEM I ticked Enable custom directory then under System directory I selected the ROMs folder. However the controller still didn’t work.

I then tried to follow your instructions regarding /data/data/com.retroarch but I’m not sure I put it in the right place. Also, my tablet is not rooted. In case it helps identify where I am going wrong, I have attached an image showing the file path I followed on my tablet. If I am selecting the wrong patch can you advise what it should be?

Thanks again for your continued help.

@Timtrash In your paths/directory settings, there should be an entry for ‘input device autoconfig directory’. Put your autoconfig file in a directory and then point that path to it.

[QUOTE=hunterk;23308]@Timtrash In your paths/directory settings, there should be an entry for ‘input device autoconfig directory’. Put your autoconfig file in a directory and then point that path to it.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I don’t seem to have that option in my settings menu. I have attached screen grabs of what I have under PATHS and INPUT. Any idea what’s wrong?

Timtrash, you’re using outdated and unsupported build from Google Play. Get latest nightie here -> http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/ I suggest you to uninstall previous version first. On first start choose ‘Load RetroArch’ to boot into RetroGUI. Make all your tweakings here, don’t use Androind GUI (‘Settings’ from main screen) at all.

Wow, this is actually quite in depth. I followed the link but there are hundreds of different folders and files there - I don’t know what to download/install. Or what the differences are between them all. Can you advise more on which to download? Sorry to ask, its just that I’m still learning and am new to all this. Thanks

Go to build, scroll all the way down and download recent nightly build (e.g. 2015-05-28_RetroArch.apk). Cores aren’t included with nigthies, you choose which cores to download in Manage Cores -> Downloadable Cores (must have an active Internet connection). Once installed, don’t use ‘Settings’ and ‘Load Cores / Content’ from main screen. Run ‘Load RetroArch’ and set up everything from RGUI.

Hi, I’ve followed all the instructions, but I just can not seem to get my controller working. I can’t think what I am doing wrong - could it be one of the other settings perhaps? Or something not quite right with my config file for the USB gamepad. I downloaded and installed the latest nightly build, and it’s working fine. I’ve downloaded cores, I used “Load Retroarch” as instructed, and made all the necessary changes to settings from the RGUI. I placed my config file in the Android folder in my tablet. Then I went

Settings > Directory Settings > Input Device Autoconfig Directory and navigated to the Android folder where I’d filed my cfg. (I tried two different sets of values for the dpad directions as well in two different cfg files, but neither seemed to work - see attached image for the data I used)

But when I loaded a core and content, the game would work only with the touchscreen overlay controls. If I disable overlay controls, I can start a game with the Start button but then do nothing more. I tried placing my config file in two different folders and changed the Input Device Autoconfig Directory settings accordingly, but still no joy.

Any thoughts on where I could be going wrong?

[QUOTE=Timtrash;23486]Hi, I’ve followed all the instructions, but I just can not seem to get my controller working. I can’t think what I am doing wrong - could it be one of the other settings perhaps? Or something not quite right with my config file for the USB gamepad. I downloaded and installed the latest nightly build, and it’s working fine. I’ve downloaded cores, I used “Load Retroarch” as instructed, and made all the necessary changes to settings from the RGUI. I placed my config file in the Android folder in my tablet. Then I went

Settings > Directory Settings > Input Device Autoconfig Directory and navigated to the Android folder where I’d filed my cfg. (I tried two different sets of values for the dpad directions as well in two different cfg files, but neither seemed to work - see attached image for the data I used)

But when I loaded a core and content, the game would work only with the touchscreen overlay controls. If I disable overlay controls, I can start a game with the Start button but then do nothing more. I tried placing my config file in two different folders and changed the Input Device Autoconfig Directory settings accordingly, but still no joy.

Any thoughts on where I could be going wrong?

[/QUOTE]

I think this bug exist in retroarch android build from 20140918 till now.

Recently android build only support gamepad in Xinput Mode (eg. Xbox 360 controller). All the gamepad use DirectInput mode wouldn’t work in the games even they work fine in the android RGUI.

I don’t know why retroarch official team couldn’t fix this serious bug in such a long time…maybe they just don’t care …:frowning:

In Archos Gamepad the autoconfig function it doesn’t works with the analogs as well if you try to bind manually, both sticks are in the autoconfig file and when you try to bind manually RA doesn’t recognize them (The Analogs Sticks works fine with other emulators like Nes.Emu, Snes9x EX+, PPSSPP, ePSXe)

With OUYA fails the back button, it works but is random (maybe works or not) in RA 1.0.0.2 from Play Store the back button works fine.

Please improve the Hardware detection. Thanks!

I cannot get my analog sticks work with any core. Sticks are correctly detected when I’m in debug mode but they don’t do anything within the game. KeyTest app only detects left analog stick and with the same keycodes as the D-pad. This issue happens with both my gamepads (Speedlink Myon and Ipega PG-9052 - not PG-9025, it’s a new model) on IME mode. They both have the same exact keycodes. I’m using the latest Play Store release but my phone is rooted so I can fiddle with cfg files if needed.

Can anybody help me?

Aristillus: The best advice is to try updating to the nightlies and see if they treat you any better. The Play store version is super-old and we’ll be pushing a new one up soon, anyway, so you’re better off getting setup with the new functionality than relying on old, soon-to-be-removed functionality.

I installed the latest build and configured the gamepad, now the gamepad isn’t detected at all within the RGUI (oddly enough, the only detected button is left/right on the right analog stick)…

[EDIT] I see that I’m not the only one experiencing this issue with Lollipop (CM12.1S). Any tweak for it or am I forced to switch back to 1.0.0.2?