Original Nintendo 64 controller mapping w/ Mayflash adapter

Do you have analog dpad enabled in your input settings?

hmmm don’t remember having that enabled. I will have a look at it and come back if that was the reason. Thanks

It sounds like you have the right-stick (c-buttons) mapped to the left-stick instead.

In goldeneye, you use the C-up and C-down buttons to look up and down, which is mapped to the right-stick normally.

Try flipping those 2 and see if it works.

Is your Mayflash adapter identified by RA as “Mayflash”, or just “USB Gamepad #3” or similar? I thought my adapter was recognized before, but now it comes up as generic and won’t play nicely/map automatically with Paralell. How did you map the C stick? Change the c stick modes, or…? Controllers working with my RA are now officially driving me insane and am spending way too much time on it… but I’d like to use the real deal for controllers.

Yes that is what it looks like, the c-buttons are on the left stick and at the same time, that stick moves the character… like some kind of conflict. I will try flipping that and see if that fixes the annoying problem. Thanks

@benjib1980, it is identified as “USB Gamepad #3,” or “#1, 2, 3, 4”. I am not at my PC now but what I remember is that to configure the c-stick or c-buttons, when are in input (pressing F1, input) you scroll to the last inputs and you will find, something like C-button x C-button x C-button y C-button y You have to configure those by trial an error. It is easy, as one of those “x” is either right or left, for example.

Thanks bad_boo, i’ll give that a shot when i get some free time. Sweet avatar, btw.

thanks for the compliment, benji

FYI, I have a PR open in the ParaLLEl-N64 repo that provides a core option for all-digital mapping of the buttons, which lets you move them all around via remaps. This should make it easier for doing custom mappings with original controllers. If you guys can try it out once it’s merged, I can submit the same thing to the mupen64plus-libretro core if it resolves the issue. EDIT: it’s merged now.

Hey guys. I wrote a .cfg file to use with the Mayflash N64 adapter. YMMV as I have noticed a lot of the Mayflash adapters have different vendor numbers and the inputs are different than other Mayflash adapters that look visually identical or are sold under the same name. I had a lot of issues setting it up like some of you have mentioned (looking down while moving forward, etc). I’ll upload it later to GitHub but here is the code:

input_driver = "udev"
# DragonRise Inc. listed when typing lsusb
# Hex vid:pid = 0079:1879 -> Decimal vid:pid = 121:6275
# there is a special char in here before the U... leave it.
input_device = "USB GamePad USB GamePad"
input_device_display_name = "Mayflash N64 to USB Adapter"

input_vendor_id = "121"
input_product_id = "6265"
input_b_btn = "2"
input_y_axis = "+3"
input_up_btn = "12"
input_down_btn = "14"
input_left_btn = "15"
input_right_btn = "13"
input_a_btn = "1"
input_x_axis = "-2"
input_l_btn = "6"
input_r_btn = "7"
input_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_l2_btn = "9"
input_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_r_x_plus_axis = "-3"
input_r_y_plus_axis = "+2"
input_r_y_minus_axis = "-2"
input_start_btn = "8"
input_r_x_minus_axis = "+3"

input_r_x_plus_axis_label = "C Right"
input_r_x_minus_axis_label = "C Left"
input_r_y_plus_axis_label = "C Down"
input_r_y_minus_axis_label = "C Up"

All seems to work well with the exception of the analog stick which seems to read out full tilt as .7 instead of 1. I think it might be an adapter limitation (according to HTML5 controller tester) but I don’t know how to compensate for it with Retroarch’s control scheme. This manifests itself if you’re aiming at the center of a character in Goldeneye and you can only shoot the middle of his neck and his shins (not full range), or you run at 70% of the speed you typically would.

Note: tested and configured on Lakka 2.0