Pc Engine CD and Sega/Mega CD games not loading (PS3 case sensitivity)

Well, I might have a clue about loading PC Engine CD games… I managed to launch one game, which is in .cue + .bin like the others I have. I have to figure out why this game works and not the others. This might be because the name of the .bin mentioned in the .cue either could be case sensitive or should be in capital letters. Retro Arch PC doesn’t care about it but the PS3 seems to care. I’ll do other tests tomorrow evening and will tell you more here right after. Anyway, thanks for having searched with me. :slight_smile:

Yes, that could definitely be the case.

Windows is non-case sensitive with regards to filenames, while PS3 (which seems to be very UNIX-like in terms of its filesystem) is definitely case-sensitive. So you do have to get that exactly right.

After a few tests tonight, I confirm that it is case sensitive on PS3. If the .cue file refers to “Game.bin” (for example), the .bin file must really be named “Game.bin”, the PS3 will freeze if it is called “game.bin”, “GAME.BIN” or anything else. Knowing that, it works great now, at least with the few games I tried. I hope it can be useful to other people who could have the same problems as me. Thanks a lot!

Hi Guys

I am having a simillar issue with mednafen retroarch 0.9.8.4.

Trying to load PCE CD title Castlevania Rondo of Blood, but everytime I do so, it gives me a black screen and then boots me to XMB, whenever I try to load the CUE file.

I have a syscard file everywhere inside these folders but still no luck. There is a syscard file in the folder where the ISO is as well.

/dev_hdd0/game/MPCERTR00/USRDIR/cores/roms

I have tested the iso and syscard file with another emulator, and it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi there

I have exactly the same problem, sega-cd works perfect, but pc-engine cd do the same as gandalfzn, black screen and boots me to xmb

What’s the problem ?

ps : syscard3.pce in folder “system” of retroarch

Mount the .cue with DAEMON TOOLS start IMGBURN select CREATE IMAGE FROM DISC select the VIRTUAL DRIVE go!!!

the image.cue and image.bin created is a format in exact that style you described and works!!! you can do that with any TGFX-CD