Performance issues with Steam Link/Big Picture/RetroArch

in menu i get 30fps but in game 60fps so i can live with that. no clue why im getting 30 in the menu does not make alot of sense

Not sure how helpful this will be, but Iā€™ve been hunting for a solution to a similar problem and I think I cracked it.

My issue:

Using Retroarch for emulation using Big Picture mode in Steam, and streaming it via Steam Link to my television. Visuals were consistent but choppy, almost as if if was dropping half the frames. Biggest telltale signs were: In Punch-Out!!, when press start to begin a round, the vertical scrolling of the ā€œRound Xā€ marquee looked choppy. In Zelda II, itā€™s really easy to see how choppy it is when you make Link jump. Along with this came the sensation of input lag, but I donā€™t know if I would classify it as ā€œlagā€ because the sensation could have been due to possibly being forced to react to gameplay that is missing every alternating frame that it was designed to display (and that Iā€™m used to seeing because of decades of nostalgia and muscle memory).

My issue was NOT a case of slowdown. So unsure if this will help those.

My current settings that resolved the issue

Thanks to all the ideas in this thread, I somehow cobbled together the answer for my issue.

1 - I did force max performance mode and shut off the power saving mode in my nVidia control panel. This may not have done anything as I didnā€™t isolate the test (bad discipline, I know).

2 - I did switch the drivers to Vulkan within the RetroArch > Settings > Driver > Video submenu. I made sure to do this on my PC by launching RetroArch.exe, changing the setting, exiting, and relaunching to double-check that the setting saved. (I did not do this by launching via Steam, in case that got in the way of properly saving config settings, but I donā€™t have evidence to believe that you HAVE to do this outside of Steamā€“I guess Iā€™m just paranoid.)

3 - I did set the Steam Link Display resolution to 720p. However, this was the first trick I tried, and it DID NOT WORK. After I executed item (2) above, it was smooth and responsive. Just as a test, I set the Steam Link Display resolution back up to 1080p, and itā€™s still smooth and responsive. Your mileage may vary and you may be in the subset of folks who do need to keep it at 720p.

4 - I did set ā€œEnable fullscreen windowed modeā€ to NO. I did this before executing item (2) above and havenā€™t reverted it, so I donā€™t know if this matters for me. I suppose I should test it by setting it back to YES, but I donā€™t wanna ruin a good thing :slight_smile:

My setup

GPU - GTX 1070 CPU - AMD FX-8320 Octacore Steam link connection - wired ethernet RetroArch version - 1.7.5 Cores tested:

• NES - NestopiaUE
  • SNES - Snes9x 2005 Plus
  • Playstation - Beetle PSX HW
  • Genesis - Genesis GX Plus

Sidenote: Before I saw the message to try Vulkan, I almost gave up and tried the Steam Link Native App version of RetroArch (now at 1.7.6). It worked for NES, Genesis (using PicoDrive core), and mostly works for SNES (Snes9x 2005 Plus seems to be the best core, not 2010 or any other). If all else fails, you could give that a shot, though I know thatā€™s not the goal.

Just made an account to say that setting the video driver to vulkan solved the issues I was having as well.

2 Likes

ā€œsetting the video driver to vulkanā€

this appears to have fixed my problems as well!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the problem Iā€™m running into!

Switching to Vulkan fixes the jag-jag-jaggy frame rate problems on the Steam Link but then MAME falls over because it needs OpenGL :frowning: fb alpha seems to be OK though

(I still find this whole issue to be so bizarre)

I take it back. Vulkan isnā€™t a problem. Missing/incorrect/bad CHDs are a problem, but vulkan isnā€™t a problem, usually

1 Like

drives me nuts! i see all you guys saying ā€œvulkan vulkan vulkanā€ and id love to be using it. Problem is, i have never been able to stream vulkan over steam without changing ogl force blit ON with nvidia driver inspector, which causes a myriad of other annoyances.

Beginning to wonder if its a dual monitor thing (any of you guys using 2 displays?) a displayport thing (are you guys using hdmi?) a resolution thing (4k monitor(s) 4k tv?) or a windows scaling thing (I use 150% as my 4k monitors are 27" and anything less is no bueno)

Could also be the fact I dont get true fullscreen out of retroarch for some reason which could be related to some of the aforementioned variables endemic to my setup, or could be a problem with RA. TBD i guess. Theres an issue on the tracker about it and while its annoying, could be entirely unrelated to the vulkan/capture thing anyhow.

#1stworldproblems