Playlists: "Custom System Name" without thumbnail

When a custom name is selected, it does not show miniatures. Like when exploring by gender. If you can not see, it loses the charm.

Is there any way to show snaps in a custom list?

1 Like

For thumbnails in a custom playlist you need a folder with the same name as the playlist:

RetroArch/
    └ thumbnails/
        └ name of the playlist/
            └ Named_Boxarts/
            └ Named_Snaps/
            └ Named_Titles/

After that you have to put the thumbnails manually in the corresponding folders, as downloading will not work, because there is no system called "name of the playlist"

A much easier way would be naming the custom playlist correct (eg. "Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System"),
downloading the thumbnails
and then change the name of the playlist,
change the name of the thumbnail folder to match
open the playlist file with a text editor and find/replace the playlist name:

find     "db_name": "Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl"
replace  "db_name": "name of the playlist.lpl"

[EDIT] If you are using custom game names as well, the thumbnails must be renamed with the gamename as well:

"label": "Super funky Yoshy game",
RetroArch/
    └ thumbnails/
        └ name of the playlist/
            └ Named_Boxarts/
                Super funky Yoshy game.png
            └ Named_Snaps/
            └ Named_Titles/

If you have games from different systems in your playlist, say you have a playlist with shmups games (arcade, snes, dreamcast etc…) then the only way is to move and rename the files manually.
Important is that the thumbnail folder is named the same as your playlist and the thumbnail pictures have the same name as the game entry in this playlist.

2 Likes

Just what I need! Thank you!

I’m going to tell you what I’m plotting.

With AppImage I can have several instances, so I’m going to create one that’s called “Retroarch Arcade Edition”

I’m going to generate personalized dats, to create lists by gender, more natural, console type. Mame’s are something else.

The miniatures become very simple, in Linux the links work as a physical folder, they do not weigh anything and I do not have to make copies for each list. Then, I create the list with an official name with the updated thumbnails and I think links for personalized lists.

1 Like

You can take your custom playlist a step further and create a custom logo for your playlist. I use free and open source InkScape, it takes a while to get used to creating and using vector images but its good once you do. I can see a nice Street Fighter logo used as opposed to the rocket ship for the playlist.

For example: Before and After screenshots in Inkscape

my rough draft of the logo, you can download and use this if you want SF logo

Transparent Image 256 by 256 resolution Street Fighter logo transparent

There is a guide for making themes which might help for the sizes. I placed it the XMB file path and named both accordingly, “Street Fighter” and “Street Fighter-content”. .config/retroarch/assets/xmb/monochrome/png

I did use a image I found off of Gelbooru.com

3 Likes

Great thank you very much!

Yes, I know inkscape, work in Linux. :wink:

1 Like

What would happen if I added a new ROM to that custom playlist and used the Online Updater to grab its boxart? Would it recognise the system that I call now, say, SNES and work like it would normally do or would I have to repeat that process again?

If the list has a custom name, it will not recognize anything you add. If you add only one set, or a few sets, it is best to insert the miniatures by hand.

1 Like