Problem with new Crop Overscan in Beetle PSX

My original post in the github Beetle’s repository…

"Hi guys, there is a problem with the new Crop Overscan, before, which was more accurate, you could just chop ~8px top and bottom, that’s by default the configuration of DuckStation, for example, and there you have it.

Now you pretty much crop all overscan independent of how much it is, FFIX is 8px, MGS is another, Chrono Cross another, etc… Which is great, the problem is there’s a ton of games that still display trash pixels, like Dino Crisis 2, Legend of Dragoon, etc and automatically cuting off the horizontal blackness (vertical overscan) leaves you having to config additional cropping game by game, which is a nightmare.

I suggest leaving the original option there and put some “PAL optimize” option or something like that for someone who needs it, like the “Crop Mode>All Borders” from DuckStation.

"

And…

"Hi, so the problem persists, I’ll try to show what’s happening…

This is Dino Crisis 2 - Config: Force 4:3 - Crop Overscan: On - Initial Scanline NTSC: 8 - Last Scanline NTSC: 231 = Perfect

But then FF9 with the same config as above = Chopping the image top and bottom (in this frame you can see only the top obviously)

So I remove Crop Overscan… The 4:3 ratio is gone and the pillarbox comes to the scene in DC2…

In FF9 the top and bottom mess is corrected, but there’s 4:3 no more and the pillarbox comes…

Let’s turn on the Crop Overscan again, but this time no chop in the scanline, Initial and Last Scanline back to standard 0 and 239 respectively… DC2 back to 4:3, but now showing garbage pixels top and bottom…

FF9 is perfect again because its naturally letterbox…

And if you remove Crop Overscan option and let the standard Scanlines numbers…

DC2 is 4:3 no more and shows garbage textures… FF9 is perfect but with overscan all around…

In short, before, the Crop Overscan only removed the horizontal overscan leaving the vertical overscan up to you, then you just removed about 8px top and bottom and it’s done. Now the Crop Overscan basically removes the pillarbox and letterbox and then what do you do with the trash pixels still being display? You’ll have to config game by game."

Am I missing something? Missing some config maybe? Why the suddenly change?

Well, actually this help me out with the problem I was having with the crackling sound in DuckStation, this problem with Beetle force me to fix the the DuckStation issue, and I did. But, anyway, I’m still alerting to this problem in the Beetle because would be great this emulator be in a fine tuning, and I think this is a very specific problem that few people are aware.

Well, pretty much that’s it, problem unsolved. With the new crop overscan you have to config game by game… Oh my…

Can delete the topic. Thanks.

This don’t sound good at all. Any fix incoming @hunterk

1 Like

You’ll never please everyone. The current behavior was implemented in response to complaints about the old behavior:

Also: https://xkcd.com/1172/

4 Likes

Unfortunetaly, it breaks some game, such as Heart of Darkness

Well, like I suggested, could be a separated option, leave the original there and create a new option for someone who’s need it. In this case it is possible to please everyone, the DuckStation, for example, have that option. Wouldn’t that be possible?

Try to use the DuckStation, it works like a charm. Probably the best and most accurate PSX emulator right now.

Cheers I’ll give it a try.

I’m also having issues with the crop overscan option after updating to 0.9.44.1.

When the option is enabled, I get vertical scaling issues on certain video modes (displayed below with the tvout+interlacing shader), turning the option off seems to solve it, but then horizontal scaling gets messed up across all video modes.

• Integer scaling is enabled in all instances

As other users said above, I think a sensible solution would be to add a toggle that makes vertical/horizontal overscan cropping independent from each other, a good example of this is seen in the genesis plus gx core

1 Like

Pending merger.

3 Likes

And it has been merged.

4 Likes