Question about Vulkan performance

I have a GPD XD which is a handheld Andriod console that gives me complete satisfaction with Retroarch. It runs on Android 4.4.4 so it uses OpenGL as video driver. Overall performance is good.

GPD is releasing the GPD XD+ which is basically the same, except the CPU is much more powerful and it comes with Android 7.0 with Vulkan support. Do you guys think the upgrade is worth it ? There will be performance improvements with the CPU upgrade obviously, but am I going to see performance improvements also by using Vulkan on Android ?

No way for us to know, it all depends on the Vulkan driver implementation.

Thank you for your answer.

From what I’ve seen from videos, it’s Vulkan driver implementation is early at the most. It didn’t seem to be able to run Vulkan on PPSSPP or Dolphin.

It suppots vulkan in both ppsspp And dolphin. Dolphin IS slow anyway. But device supports vulkan. I have one. Probably the vídeos You watched they used an old firmware . Now, performance wise better stay with old XD. XD plus has a problem with screen refresh which IS essential in android And retroarch. In old XD IS perfect.

1 Like