Request: Analog stick deadzone

I know I posted something like this about mupen but I was being kind of vague and I also didn’t realize that it wasn’t just mupen that had a preset and supposedly unchangeable analog deadzone, but all of the cores that are capable of using an analog stick seem to have it. To illustrate what I mean exactly by “deadzone” I am posting a screen of the input settings for dolphin.

the stick on the left has a deadzone of 25% around what I am guessing is the default analog deadzone in RA as well. So any movement inside of that 25 percent inner circle will be ignored until the stick passes that threshold, thus the character may go from still to a slow run or the crosshair might make a sudden jump from the center to the point beyond the threshold ignoring all the space in between. The latter makes it difficult to aim in a game such as goldeneye for example. The right stick is 0% which is what I would want to set for myself for more exact precision (and to get a certain jiggy in banjo-tooie lol). However a higher deadzone would be useful for setting up c buttons to the right analog stick on a controller; making the ocarina easier to use in Zelda as another example.

I think it is decently important to add such a setting so that each players can make their own decision based on the game they are playing or their own preference. Some games may even be unplayable or unenjoyable without it. I hope this is far more clear than my last attempt at an explanation.

RetroArch does not enforce any deadzone for raw analogs, this must be the core itself that is doing this.

hmm well i tried it on mednafen and it seemed to be exactly the same as well as on mame. In any case I am hoping there is some way to change this.

yeah I also see the need for that. played a few n64 games recently and the controls really do suffer from the default deadzones.

I have a question that might be related: What is input_axis_threshold doing? I only found this brief explanation.

Defines axis threshold. Possible values are [0.0, 1.0]

input_axis_threshold = 0.5

It only affects games that have the analog mapped as d-pad or something like that. Can’t remember exactly what squarepusher told me about that.

input_axis_threshold defines the deadzone when you map analogs to D-pad/buttons (as RetroPad binds). It does not affect true analog input.

same problem here!

is there anyway to change the default mupenplus64 deadzone settngs?

found some information here, http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top … r-configs/ but modifying the mupenplus cfg to low deadzone value didnt help for me:

does anyone know how retroarch is forwarding the input to mupenplus?

edit:

found this in the source (https://github.com/libretro/mupen64plus … t_plugin.c) :

#define ASTICK_DEADZONE 0x2000
#define CSTICK_DEADZONE 0x4000

i tried adjusting ASTICK_DEADZONE definition and recompiled mupenplus64. WORKS!!! the value can be set to zero if you already setup the deadzone in the controllers driver settings. (for me xboxdrv with deadzone 4000)

to set the deadzone hardcode without any possibility to change the value seems to be very ugly for me. maybe this should become an issue! good way would be to set it as a core option.

hey thanks man, hardcoded is better than nothing. I don’t really like any deadzone at all anyway.