Request: iNES Mapper 30 support?

Mystic Origins. Troll Burner is a new game created using the same technology as Mystic Origins but it doesn’t work on some platforms.

I posted an issue about it here

hmm… cant even get troll burner to load in windows 10… wonder if basic mapper 30 can work better without the flashing supports. will investigate later…

can you manually edit header of the game and set this to use mapper 2 and see if it works on those systems?

I could try, but like I said, the point isn’t just to get Troll Burning working, but to get NESmaker games working.

my understanding is mapper30 in theory is a mapper 2 with extended prg upto 512kb and flash support. most emulators are already supporting 512kb for mapper 2. since i dont have the device you are trying to run these on, its what i can think of about isolating the issue. if it runs well and has save support (in fceumm, mapper30’s save/battery is flash method) then is probably has something to do with the flashing routines.

not sure if roms from nes maker does require this flash method though.

It appears mapper30 also has the option to use mapper-controlled one screen mirroring. And bankable CHR RAM to up to 32kb.

I have no idea if NESmaker uses either of those features, but is that supported in FCEumm?

It does seem to work in Windows 10 64b though… so it might be something else that’s somehow platform-dependent. if it was the flashing routines would it have worked in Windows 64b?

UPDATE: managed to fix issue with Troll Dungeon demo at least. I do need a way to test the flashing support though, so if anyone has idea of other mapper 30 roms, probably which actually reads/write to flash would help to test compatibilty.

UPDATE2: PR is submitted… awaiting merge…

@BenMcLean if you are able to manually compile cores, you can test my PR. make sure to delete previous save files as those are not compatible and totally broken for this mapper.

2 Likes

Just incase someone needs another core that can support mapper 30, i have update QuickNES core (yeah, quicknes) to support basic Mapper 30, without the flash support. It should at least be working with Troll Burner and Mystic Origins (tested the demos).

2 Likes

I have an unlicensed rom that has issues running with either the FCEUMM or QuickNES cores (running on mac or nintendo switch). The background does not load until you move passed the middle of the screen on each frame. Is there any way I can send it to you? Its for a game I paid for so I’d rather not post it publicly as I don’t have the right to distribute it.

Unfortunately, if you don’t have the right to distribute it, you can’t give it to us either :frowning:

sounds like a mirroring problem, and yeah @hunterk is right.

is there no demo of the game? if there is none, can you at least open the binary in a hexeditor or something and make a screenshot of the 1st 16 bytes (header bytes) of the rom? and are you using the latest from fceumm?

There is a demo from 2017 floating around but I can’t even load it (it either crashes retroarch with QuickNES or fails to load with FCEUMM. Also it’s a very old version of the game so might be built differently from the final version. I should mention that I have been testing these on RetroArch on the Nintendo Switch and macOS, but the game works with FCEU using OpenEmu on macOS. I have opened the full rom in a hex editor, please see the screenshot attached. Also here is the link to the 2017 demo: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=15193

Does my post above help at all? Yes I am used the lastest core of fceumm on the latest version of retroarch.

the demo did not work. its a mapper #28, its currently not supported in fceumm…

ill look at this during the weekend…

it doesnt seem to be a mapper 30 game as well ( unless my math is wrong) nvm, its indeed mapper 30

can you confirm by loading the game again and see on log what it detects? something like this:

Screenshot_20190118_220324

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if you still wanted me to check. But here it is:

[libretro INFO] PRG ROM: 32 x 16KiB

[libretro INFO] CHR ROM: 0 x 8KiB [libretro INFO] ROM CRC32: 0xa55ab16f

[libretro INFO] ROM MD5: 0x297a66d785838f71d99e69744f319c5a

[libretro INFO] Mapper #: 30

[libretro INFO] Mapper name: UNROM 512

[libretro INFO] Mirroring: None (Four-screen)

[libretro INFO] Battery-backed: No

[libretro INFO] Trained: No

are you able to compile fceumm from source? if not try running this on standalone mednafen or standalone mesen if this works correctly. send logs if they do (mednafen’s log should be in one of the files where mednafen is, mesen is in Tools > Log window) thanks.

I wouldn’t have the skill or understanding to compile something, sorry I can’t be of more help that way. I ran the game on windows in mesen. It works fine, I’ve posted the contents of the log below. It works fine on my NES classic using retroarch fceumm and on mac using openemu. Retroarch on mac and the Nintendo Switch (Fceumm and QuickNES) remain problematic. I really want to play this on my switch as I don’t have the time to play it on my home consoles/PC.

Loading rom: TwinDragonsFINAL.nes File CRC32: 0x680C39AA

[DB] Initialized - 15540 games in DB PRG CRC32: 0xA55AB16F PRG+CHR CRC32: 0xA55AB16F [iNes] Mapper: 30 Sub:0 [iNes] PRG ROM: 512 KB [iNes] CHR ROM: 0 KB [iNes] CHR RAM: 8 KB [iNes] Mirroring: Four Screens [iNes] Battery: No [DB] Game not found in database

hmm its definitely the mirroring code then if this did run on fceumm on the classic. the mirroring was updated awhile ago, i never had tested it outside of the demos that uses mapper 30.

ill see if return this code back to the old one would make this game work better…

Problem solved! The game creator thought that there might be an issue with emulator support for mapper 30 but once I sent him the screenshots he realised it was an issue with the ROM having an incorrect header. He has now rolled back to an earlier version which works perfectly now. Thanks very much for your help, sorry for wasting your time.

ok thats great to hear. ive always wondered why the demos were mapper 28 but the official is mapper 30. ok then will wait for the updated version and see if its still a problem. (though if they were to use mapper 28, that could be a problem. i have to start adding those mappers in…)