Retroarch crashes when starting a Mednafen HW game from the playlist

The cue-file is correct, as I can load it from “Favorites” and start the Mednafen PSX HW core without a problem. This is true for all my PSX games, they crash RA when started from Playlist and they work when loading them via “Load Content->Favorites” (meaning by directly passing the cue file).

Regarding bad RA config files, this is what I tried to rule out that problem: Retroarch crashes when starting a Mednafen HW game from the playlist

Is there anything else I can try to get more info about the crash?

I don’t see a problem but you could try:

and see if that works better.

That’s what I have in the playlist I tested on win7 x64 and had no problem with. (My playlist is also read-only to avoid getting it associated with a particular core.)

My cue is like this, with the bin alongside the cue file:

FILE "Harmful Park (Japan) [SLPS-00498].bin" BINARY TRACK 01 MODE2/2352 INDEX 01 00:00:00

We can rule out bad cue-files, but I post one of the PSX games nevertheless:

FILE "Crash Bandicoot - Warped (USA).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

I changed the playlist as you recommended. However, it doesn’t help. The situation is, that Mednafen PSX HW crashes while Mednafen PSX works when started from playlist.

Both cores work when directly passing the cue-file.

shaders are usually the reason for me if everything else seems correct(assuming the cue/cdimage really is working) and core still does not load.

open your retroarch.cfg, find “video_shader”, and set it as video_shader = “”

What can I do to prove that the cue/images are 100% accurate? They are, after all, showing up in the playlist from folder scanning, meaning all their checksums are valid. That should rule them out for causing this issue. Additionally, the cue-files work when first loading the Mednafen PSX HW core and then loading the file from disk via “Load Content -> Favorites”. If there would be a problem with the images, RA would crash again (which it doesn’t).

open your retroarch.cfg, find “video_shader”, and set it as video_shader = “”

Thanks for the tip with the shaders, but that didn’t fix it, too. Are shaders only loaded when starting a game via the playlist?

I did some more testing.

I configured RA to us gl as video renderer and also Mednafen PSX HW to use opengl as renderer. I start RA in Window Mode and start a game from Playlist with the HW core. The window resolution will change and then the game runs. However, as soon as I switch to fullscreen (by pressing the F-Key), RA crashes.

Next test was again gl as video renderer and Mednafen PSX HW core option set to opengl. I start RA in Fullscreen Mode and start a game from Playlist with the HW core, RA will change automatically to window mode (why?). The game will start. When changing to fullscreen, RA will crash.

The crash when going to fullscreen could be unrelated, as it also happens when starting a game from “Load Content”.

it looks like you have a core-related config set? check /config folder for related setting. delete them core-config/game-config files

RetroArch [INFO] :: [overrides] core-specific overrides found at C:\Users\User Name\Saved Games\RetroArch\config\Mednafen PSX HW\Mednafen PSX HW.cfg. RetroArch [INFO] :: [overrides] game-specific overrides found at C:\Users\User Name\Saved Games\RetroArch\config\Mednafen PSX HW\Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back (USA).cfg. RetroArch [INFO] :: Config: appending config “C:\Users\User Name\Saved Games\RetroArch\config\Mednafen PSX HW\Mednafen PSX HW.cfg” RetroArch [INFO] :: Config: appending config “C:\Users\User Name\Saved Games\RetroArch\config\Mednafen PSX HW\Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back (USA).cfg”

also, use the latest nightly release.

Thanks for your answer.

The Overrides are also loaded when I load the game from “Load Content”, so it’d be unlikely to cause this. I just deleted all overrides, which didn’t fix it.

I just updated to RA nightly (29.1.2017) with the corresponding Mednafen PSX cores. That fixed the issue. So it’s likely a bug in RA 1.3.6.-1.4.0, that may be triggered only due to some esoteric hardware stuff (because nobody was able to reproduce this with the specific versions).

Thanks a lot, again!