RetroArch CrtSwitchRes 15khz auto setup script

It keeps changing my main monitor instead of my pvm. I am on windows should I switch to Linux? I’m using display port to vga then vga to 5bnc. The image is very messed up on the pvm.

Currently with windows you need to set your CRT as the default monitor.

Okay. I’ll try right now and let you know how that goes

It plays but I get a black screen

Have you tried all super resolutions?

Have you installed the prerequisite resolution? Either by the NVIDIA CP or CRU?

I added super resolutions using Nvidia control panel. Would Linux be easier?

I think it may be my adapter because my monitor blanks out at 320x240 and at 2560x240. I’m not sure what else I can do. Linux gave me some promising results but I don’t know how to navigate around Linux. Would Intel igpu work

Edit: I’ll just wait for my AMD card as I’m not able to figure out how to get it to work. Most videos I find are for 31khz not 15khz. It may also be my adapter aswell so I am not sure. Thanks again for all the help though. My pvm is a Sony (8042Q) which was connected to my PC using a display port to vga cable then vga cable to 5BNC

Hey I got super resolutions and Stuff like that working with 15khz but is there a difference between playing super resolution and Native? Also how do I clear retroarch config in Linux?

Hi,

While I’ve been using Emudriver and Groovymame for some years now I’m kind of new to Retroarch and the recent 15khz features. I’ve not found an installation guide which seems to be updated nor explains the options, so hopefully you don’t mind me asking about some boring basic aspects to get a clear picture of how it all works (Windows 7, AMD Radeon card):

1. What’s the difference between official Retroarch and MM4CRT for Windows?

2. When I enable crt_switch_resolution, how do I set the screen resolution, be it super or native, with video_fullscreen_x (and _y) or with custom_viewport_width (and_height)? Does it actually matter what I type there or not really because CRT switch res will just use the core’s native one(s) (or whichever super resolution I set with crt_switch_resolution_super)?

3. Must aspect_ratio_index be set to “21” (core provided) in any case (and therefore, video_aspect_ratio doesn’t need to be defined)? Or only under super resolutions?

4. Are refresh rates (still) locked to integers (so that NES and SNES will run at 60 Hz instead of 60.098, etc.)? Is Retroarch’s FPS display reliable, once it gets stable?

Thanks for any answer and specially for the work done!

@thisbirch221. The difference between native and super wide resolution is essentially that you get the same physical width with the latter no matter the resolution, so no need for CRT adjustments to fill the screen every time you switch res. Also, dynamic res. switching is done smoothly if the vertical res. doesn’t change (at least, it does with Groovymame, I assume it’s the same here).

1 Like

This script saved me. I am a zero when it comes to Linux, I had to make do with my PC CRT running janky 120hz or sacrifice a lot of brightness with the interlacing shader, after that I spent countless hours on outdated and convoluted tutorials trying to get my laptop to work with the CRT TV for 240p glory, ragequit a hundred times and was about to give up, this script + UMSA, I solved all my problems, the saga is over. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m trying to setup script in W7x64 without explorer.exe and seems switchres fails.

¿Anyone knows if the process is needed by retroarch?

Thx so much.

EDIT: I found error in log: HrInit of ITaskbarList3 failed, i supose explorer.exe is necessary.

How did you guys get this script to give you 240p on ubuntu? I’m running LXLE, and the desktop is running in 480i. I can’t seem to get 240p working. If I load the rom and change the resolution, I get a squashed screen. CRTSwitchRes has been turned on and set to 15khz. I’m using an arcade monitor.

Hey all,

wondering if this is still the best method to get everything up and running?

Is the stuff up to date?

Thanks

:edit:

Im just asking because i used the latest version of Ubuntu + UMSA + the Auto-Script and my Sound is totally broken (just hissing). Never had a problem when using the old CRTEmuDriver setup + Win7 but everyone is telling me that this is now the best version to get a CRT setup running (MME4CRT + Linux).