RetroArch - Native CRT Support

@hunterk I have been downloading them from the online updater. I am running currently Ubuntu 14.04.

Ah, yeah, I think our buildbot has a different glibc or something.

These packages from the PPA should work. They’re built for Trusty: https://launchpad.net/~libretro/+archive/ubuntu/testing/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=trusty

It’s going to install the libraries into /usr/x86_64-whatever/lib/libretro but you can then cp them into your ~/.config/retroarch/cores/ directory.

@hunterk is this an issue with Ubuntu then or just trusty/14.04?

It’s a problem with distributing bare dynamic libraries without also bundling their dependencies (i.e., things they link against).

It’s just a thing that can happen when linking against libc, since trusty is super-old (and consequently, its libc is old) and our buildbot is newer. Since libretro cores don’t link against much, it usually isn’t a problem, it’s just the cores that do link against it break on distros that have a different version from the buildbot. Compiling yourself (or using builds for that specific release) sidesteps the issue.

Fair enough!

I have added these trusty cores but now I only get failed to load core?

oy, what a drag. Can you pastebin a log?

1 Like

I have the bios files in the main Ra folder and in ~./config/retroarch/system. I have set the retroarch.cfg to ~./config/retroarch/system for the system directory.

Here is the pastebin https://pastebin.com/PUYhh1GH

What distro is recommended to use with RA? So we can download from the online updater

[ERROR] Error(s): /home/mme/.config/retroarch/cores/mednafen_psx_libretro.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That’s weird.

The newer LTS release, Xenial, should work, as well as anything newer.

That’s what I thought. I have checked and the file is in that directory. I’m going to upgrade to 16 and see how things go.

Yeah, all working fine on Ubuntu 16.

1 Like

I’m getting some odd behavior when trying to load RetroArch through a frontend (Attract-mode). The game loads, but the resolution switching doesn’t seem to function. It will output to whatever resolution the desktop is set to.

I’ve not done any testing from different front ends. Does it work if you load Retroarch normally? I know with frontends you have the options to load a config file, is attract-mode loading the retroarch.cfg? this is were the settings are for the switching. Frontends load Retroarch in CLI mode so you will have to make sure the correct arguments are being added.

Once you’ve loaded a game in attract-mode can you press F1 and check in the menu if crt switching is enabled.

I’ve got it working now. It seems Attract-mode handles formatting the commands kinda strangely and was reverting to an earlier working config? I really don’t know why it was partially working to be honest, but putting quotations around the RetroArch path (it was working without them before) seems to have fixed it up nicely. I’ll chalk it up to user error.

1 Like

Attract Mode is a launcher, not a frontend. Retroarch is still the frontend in this scenario

It is now merged. So if you download the latest nightly it will all be there.

@markwkid

1 Like

There’s a wiki post here on the forum where we can make some documentation for the feature. We need some text explaining what it is and how it works (layman’s terms is good enough; doesn’t need to be very technical) and then some steps explaining how to set it up on a new blank-slate system:

1 Like

Nice I’ll get @Retrorepair to help out with this as well.

2 Likes

I’m working on this now

1 Like

OK guys, big update for Linux here. I have now included a modeline generator into RetroArch. So there will be no need to create custom resolution for Linux. Also with this modeline generator it set the exact hz needed for the core. In turn there is now no need for VSYN making in put lag non-existent.

Currently switching is a bit jarring, but I need to clean the method and move some of the method around which will help smooth this out.

@hunterk

@markwkidd any news from the devs?