RetroArch Netplay Issue

after adding the PPA to my source list, sudo apt-get install retroarch installs 1.0.0.3. I’m scewing something up…

I removed retroarch and libretro*

whoops, I was still using the libretro/stable ppa. I’m an idiot. I’m installing from your PPA now.

Hmmmm works totally fine and full-speed for me between win7 and ubuntu 14.04 x64

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/149 … .35.08.png

Alright. I installed 1.0.0.2 and I get the same error:

RetroArch: Waiting for client… RetroArch [ERROR] :: Failed to set up netplay sockets. RetroArch [WARN] :: Failed to initialize netplay …

So this is some sort of set up problem on my end. Any idea on why Retroarch can’t set up the netplay sockets?

Did you try with sudo? are you using wifi? maybe some issue with your wireless driver?

sudo to run retroarch? As in: sudo retroarch --menu --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1 ? Still didn’t work. Same issue.

Not on wifi. Hardwired.

Weird man, works here, and in a VM! Clean ubuntu install and Retroarch install

How? What? Why? lol

I don’t see what I’m doing wrong. How did you set up your ports on Ubuntu? Any other special changes made?

Missing dependencies maybe? I don’t know. It would have to be something specific to the networking aspect.

I didn’t do a thing, installed ubuntu, installed retroarch, copied a rom and played

I’ve had no problems with any other parts. I can play all the cores with no issues. I only run into this problem with setting up the sockets in netplay.

I don’t know what would be causing it to fail. And fail instantly. It doesn’t even try to connect.

A couple of more questions:

How long does the host side wait until determining that no connection has been made and erroring out?

Is it possible to set netplay up over LAN?

I reinstalled Ubuntu and still having this failure to initialize sockets. If I check to see whats “listening” Retroarch is listed on the correct socket. I’m not sure why my connections are failing.

I think it should wait basically indefinitely. I seem to recall needing to kill the process rather than waiting for a timeout…

Yes, you can definitely do it over a LAN. That’s a good place to start so you can isolate firewall issues, etc.

That’s good to know. Mine has been failing instantly. So it’s not even trying to connect. Any idea if there are any specific dependencies needed?

I’ve been thru several installs of the OS with the same result.

So I’m happy to report that I did end up getting netplay to work over LAN. I do have a strange issue though. I have 2 computers hooked up to a switch. When computer “A” is the host, there are no issues and connection is instant. When computer “B” is the host, it fails.

Strange issue is when I make a connection to computer B from A via nc. (i.e. nc -zv 192.168.2.2 55435) it says connection refused. And the opposite is true when trying to connect from A to B.

So what I’m saying is I can connect to the port of the computer that does not work as host and I cannot connect to the port of the computer that will work as host. (hopefully that’s not too confusing)

Does that make sense? To me it seems like the opposite should be true. I can connect to the host and therefore I should be able to connect to the port outside of Retroarch as well.

I am having the same problem on Windows XP. I am using the 32bit 1.0.0.3 beta and the nightly cores from dec 31th. ERROR: “Failed to initialize netplay.”

Pastebin LOG

EDIT: Looks like the latest nightly build (01-01-2015) has fixed the problem. It is now waiting for a client to join. However, when somebody tries to join it will give the following error:

initnetplay: Connecting to netplay host… RetroArch [ERROR] :: getnickname :: Invalid nick size. RetroArch [ERROR] :: sendinfo :: Failed to receive nick from host. RetroArch [WARN]

I don’t want to open up a new thread about it, but here it goes.

I tried net play for the first time today, testing my Desktop as host and an Android device as second player, I can see me in the room list in the Android device, but the connection fails.

Then, on the Desktop, I went to Information>Network Information and noticed that Retroarch is trying the Virtual Box Virtual Network driver, but it should instead use the real network in my PC, right?

I tried disabling the VB network and reopened Retroarch but it just doesn’t show anything for the Network driver.

Any ideas?

Hi and I don’t want to open up a new thread about it, but here it goes. I just went into digging this issue. I’m using Archlinux and as soon as triggered start as host or server, it throws me msg like, it can’t be possible to enable netplay.

Looking at retroarch.log I saw something interesting. It said that failed to create sockets.

Then, I thought why not look at the source code. I executed a search pattern with “failed to create socket…” Then saw a file netplay_init.c I’m not a programmer, but I understand a little about it. Things went interesting when a saw this part

2020-04-05_13-52

Then, I remembered that some time ago I disable ipv6 at the kernel level. I Just turn it on again and this issue goes away.

Sorry for my writing, still learning this language.

1 Like

Today i tried snes9x core and i just got “Failed to initialize netplay”, i hecked that both had same core and game, even deleted and downloaded core to be sure. That didnt help, then i tested snes9x 2010 and it did work so the snes9x has some buggs with netplay.

i used retroarch 1.9.1 snes9x 1.60 0655370 that didnt work, and what worked snes9x 2010 1.52.4 30f386a

I’m a new user to retroarch myself…