RetroArch on external hard drive?

Hello there, I recently got a 2 TB external hard drive for my birthday, and I have been trying to install RetroArch on it. I have tried to drag the applaction and the “RetroArch” folder, but whenever I run it, it starts to have black squares instead of the regular markers. I have heard I need to configure something, so can someone give me a step by step explation on how to do it? Thanks

The problem is that all configuration files are pointing to specific folders that have changed since you moved the folders to another drive.

You need to edit retroarch.cfg using a simple text editor (notepad works). And replace all references to the previous installation folder to the new one.

For example: C:\Games\Retroarch to D:\Retroarch

Another problem you may find is that playlist files need to go through the same procedure…

I run all of my system off an external HDD, so it’s definitely possible.

The absolute easiest way to do it, is to assigned your external drive a specific letter (I use “W:” for example) and then do a fresh install of RA on the external hard-drive.

Then, whenever you attach it to a new computer for the first time, you just have to give it the same drive letter and everything will go.