Retroarch Performance on new breed of mini pcs?

It’d appear it’s possible to install Linux on those, which would sort out the issue of Windows being a resource hog. In fact, since it’s pretty much just PC hardware, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could even install Lakka on them.

[QUOTE=whiteninja79;33634]Okay. I’ve tried, using Super Mario 64. (I will note - I don’t know if this is a ROM issue or a core issue, but some games - in particular, the Gex games - seem to have problems. Super Mario 64 seems to be fine.) Results below are with no shaders, and with the dynamic_recompiler CPU core.

The audio is a bit glitchy at some points at these settings, usually when also drawing a lot of graphics (although it also happens during one fairly low-intensity splash screen). It’s definitely playable, but not ideal. Frame rate seems to sit at about 48fps most of the time in-game.

I tried knocking it down to the next highest setting - 1600x1200 - and this gave an almost-consistent 60fps in-game; the pause screen and menu screens dropped to around 48fps.

Dropped it again to 1280x960, and this seemed to hold >59.5fps (and mostly 60.0 exactly) at all times during gameplay; some minor (but not noticable, at least to me) dips during menus and pause still.

Do note that by “in gameplay”, I only tested walking around the starting area a bit. :slight_smile:

I decided to try one last thing - 640x480 (I think that’s the internal resolution of an actual N64?) with a shader, instead of a higher resolution. xbr-lv2-c resulted in similar framedrops to using the 1920x1440 internal resolution; crt-royale (I think I recall you asking about this one elsewhere on these forums?) worked perfectly fine.

In case it matters, my actual display output resolution, as configured in the bootloader INI, is 1080p. I don’t believe Odroid-XU4 supports any higher than this, so 1920x1440 is probably not worthwhile anyway since it’s higher than the Odroid can output; 1600x1200 or 1280x960 is probably a better choice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for such a detailed test and response. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=solid12345;33635]Here is another option that caught my eye, early reviews of the new Intel stick say they are actually worth a damn now. Not sure what the performance would be like though with Windows hogging up resources compared to a more slimlined linux or droid box but at the least it could offer more flexibility for things like Hyperspin and easier tinkering in the backend.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/better-wireless-helps-intels-new-compute-stick-deliver-on-its-potential/[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately from the bench marks it does not appear to be that much faster then the first version.

I have been looking for a small format retrobox like this for a while now. Sadly I have not found the best fit just yet in that price range.

I found some other random portable devices that lakka/retroarch would be a great fit for:

The “GPD XD” and the “Blaze Tab”. They are marketed as portable retro gaming devices with hdmi outputs.