RetroArch Won't Open on Windows

AH SUCCESS!! The command prompt said that “sdl” video driver did not exist, it said “sdl2” “d3d” “null” and one other one existed, so instead, I entered d3d and it finnnallllly launched. The log does say something about my refresh rates not being quick enough, didn’t have any roms downloaded yet so not sure it will work but at least it launched. Here’s the log. http://pastebin.com/y6w4JkPG

Ah, nice. You should be (mostly) set with the d3d driver.

w00t! That just might be my problem. I’m a go try changing the cfg…

EDIT: Kay, so it was the menu driver the whole time. XMB apparently can’t run on my old graphics driver. I am so getting a new processor. Thanks it works now!

Hello everyone.

Well, I’ve been trying for a while to start RetroArch, however, so far I have not been able to. I start it and it closes automatically, with a white screen, in Stable and Nightlies versions. I wandered through the forum with several solutions found, replace such video driver by such and others. I’m giving up using it. Anyway, could you help me? I will leave the log via appcrash from Windows itself after they respond, after all I do not know how to generate another type of log. Thank you in advance for your help and attention.

Windows appcrash log won’t really tell us anything, unfortunately. We need a RetroArch log, which you can generate by following these instructions: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/#generating-logs-in-windows

Indeed. I’ve been wandering around the forum and found some solutions to generate the logs. However, I do not know if the log is complete, because I followed one here and asked to put a command, but it did not work. But the rest was generated right.

Log from GDB: [INFO] RetroArch 1.7.5 (Git af0a9712a6) [INFO] === Build ======================================= Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 Built: Nov 17 2018 [INFO] Version: 1.7.5 [INFO] Git: af0a9712a6 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [New Thread 9684.0x2460] [INFO] Redirecting save file to “N:\RetroArch\saves.srm”. [INFO] Redirecting savestate to “N:\RetroArch\states.state”. [New Thread 9684.0x28d8] [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 29970.03 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720 [INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: wgl [INFO] [GL]: Detecting screen resolution 1366x768. [INFO] [WGL] extensions: (null) [INFO] [GL]: Vendor: Microsoft Corporation, Renderer: GDI Generic. [INFO] [GL]: Version: 1.1.0.

I need other archives to startup? I really don’t know. I’m waiting the answer.

This is your problem. Your GPU driver is not providing GL capabilities.

The solution is to open your retroarch.cfg in a text editor and change the video_driver line from “gl” to “d3d9”, “d3d10” or “d3d11” (the higher the better, but it depends on what your GPU will support).

Ah yes. But I’ve used the D3D9 once. My GPU is not so good, it sucks. But I will try.

Nothing. I really don’t know. I’m using a Nightly version. I’m giving up. There’s something else to do?

If your GPU can’t even do d3d9, you can change the video driver to “gdi” but the experience is not going to be good.

What if I use GDI and it still does not work? Because I have memories that I’ve used this type of driver before.

What are the main differences of using GDI instead of D3D?

Edit: When I looked at my computer more, I noticed that I already have the ability to use D3D 11.1, according to my requirements. But I still can not use them in a way in RetroArch.

I installed 1.6.7 stable, and I used “GDI”, it still did not work. Not even in Nightly. I’m giving up. Is there any other version that is easier to run?

Anyone can help me with the video drivers? I really want to play with RetroArch, but i couldn’t.

Hey, where are you? Please help me.

I’ve already told you the answer as best I know how. As long as you’re using the GDI Generic driver, RetroArch isn’t going to start unless you use the “gdi” video driver, and I haven’t seen any indication (i.e., a log) that you’ve done that.

Well, as far as I understand, I just need to switch the video driver to “GDI”, right? I did in version 1.7.5 (nightly) and in 1.6.7 (stable), I did not get any result. I tried with all the Directs3D and nothing. However, I will try again and generate a log in both versions, when I finish I go back here. Thank you for your help.

Already in GDI video driver. Here (Tested first in version 1.7.5 (stable): [INFO] RetroArch 1.7.5 (Git 826c77d523) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] Version: 1.7.5 [INFO] Git: 826c77d523 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [INFO] Redirecting save file to “N:\RetroArch\saves.srm”. [INFO] Redirecting savestate to “N:\RetroArch\states.state”. [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 29970.03 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720 [INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: wgl [INFO] [GL]: Detecting screen resolution 1366x768. [INFO] [WGL] extensions: (null) [INFO] [GL]: Vendor: Microsoft Corporation, Renderer: GDI Generic. [INFO] [GL]: Version: 1.1.0.

YES, I DO IT! Well, wandering several times in the forum, I found a file “wtfi.exe”, which “removed” the OpenGL bug from my video card. I was using GDI, but even then it was! Worked in “GL” now.