Running Windows games with RetroArch (Wine and emulation)

Would it be possible to add Wine as a new core? Yeah, I know this not an emulator.

2 Likes

It’s a compatibility layer, so I highly doubt it will be a likely target.

It’d cool if we could use Wine with RetroArch’s features such as, shaders, different overlays, video recording, and, of course, support for mobile platforms.

But can Wine really make it to phones and tablets? Wine developers are working now on the Android version of Wine for ARM devices. What is more, there’s already an app for Android called Winulator (pretty expensive) that allows you to play a handful of Windows games.

What if Wine is not an option? Maybe emulation could bring Windows games to RetroArch? For instance, DosBox Turbo has got experimental support for Windows games. And it seems that there is even a way to get its source code.

1 Like

Standalone DOSBox can actually install some versions of Windows with minor issues, and even play Windows games that way. I’m sure it would not be out of the realm of possibility for RetroArch’s DOSBox core to play old Win9x games that way.

1 Like

What is cool about DosBox Turbo is that (it seems so) you don’t have to install Windows at all to play games.

1 Like

I suggest them to use wine

At RetroArch, DOSBox PURE and ScummVM are the only option to play Windows games. PURE is limited to pre XP versions (w3x and w9x).

I quote something I just answered post.

DOSBox official (standalone) is a very old version, you can install Windows but it does not allow to run or install anything.

DOSBox SVN, the official development version, does support Windows 9x max. Installation of programs only with software acceleration (there are some unofficial forks that give hardware support).

DOSBox PURE, is based on the latest SVN and supports Windows 3/9x, it also implemented Voodoo 1 emulation (from MAME) to support OpenGL and DirectX (v9 max.) hardware acceleration on Windows. Any game prior to Windows XP runs on PURE. Obviously with the hardware limitations of the "Voodoo 1, and the resources of the emulating device. It also constantly adds changes and fixes to run games that SVN can’t or make them faster.

1 Like