Saturn Kronos core crashes on save state?! (Help!)

[BarbuDreadMon] “I intend to rewrite the savestate code in Kronos in the next few weeks, so that it doesn’t rely on tmpfile creation at all.” I intend to backport the “fix” that check if the tmpfile is created to Yabause, nothing else.

So which core are you rewriting the savestate for? Kronos core or Yabause core?

I’m working on the Kronos core, and while i backport some stuff to the Yabause core from time to time, i only does it for simple ones.

The only way I know how to update to the latest version of the core is through retroarch.

Edit, ok the crash is fixed but I get the message “Core does not support save states”.

When i say to read my post above, that’s because i want you to read it…

I read it, then I read the one where you told me to read it… I got confused cause when you said the crash was already fixed, to ME that reads that the problem has been fixed. So on one hand I thought you were saying it would be a few weeks and on the other that it was fixed already. I was simply reporting.

As already explained the issue is that your setup refuse to create tmpfiles (probably some shitty rights issue, i wouldn’t be surprised if executing RA as admin was a workaround), and that’s why it was crashing when trying to write on that tmpfile. Now the savestate process properly stop if your OS refuse to create the tmpfile.

As for the complete rewrite of the savestate process to avoid having to use a tmpfile, it’ll take time, weeks, maybe months, because tbh i have other things to do.

1 Like

Okay, so you’re fixing/rewriting the Kronos core so anyone with a SSD can make save states. Got it. Thanks again for doing this!

I forgot to mention this : i got a friend with both a SSD and a normal HDD to do some tests, he had the issue whatever disk he used, so that’s not a SSD issue. Right now i have higher suspicions about privileges since the microsoft documentation mentions administrative privileges being required for this function on vista (WTF windows ? That’s just a temp file, why do you require administrative privileges to create it ?). I think executing RA as admin might get around this.

1 Like

I am happy to run it as an admin but since save functionality has been removed in the latest core, we can’t now. If there’s some way to temporarily reinstate it very briefly I will try it. If that fixes the problem then we are set till you make the fix.

Running in Admin lets me save and load the state! Just tested it!

1 Like

That’s why I always disabled UAC on my home computers. Just disable UAC completely and you don’t need to explicitly start any program as Administrator, in fact when you run windows for the first time and create your user account for the system (the OOEB wizard), the account created is member of Administrators local group, the “security feature” :laughing: that control that annoying behavior of running programs in a lower privileges security context is UAC (User Account Control). You can disable it in various way, I personally prefer the Local Group Policy Editor way.

Win Key + R -> GPEDIT.MSC -> Enter

In the Group Policy Editor window, browse to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.

Make the following changes:

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode – Set its value to Elevate without prompting.
User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation – Set its value to Disabled.
User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations – Set its value to Disabled.
User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode – Set its value to Disabled.

Restart the computer. Also, you can search on google “How to disable UAC on Windows 10”

That way, since your account is already member of the local Administrators group, all the programs you run in your windows session, run with the highest OS privileges, and without security elevation prompts. Basically, you will really 99% own your computer, except for certain process/OS services/folders/registry keys/etc that run on the SYSTEM’s accounts. Those too can be modified by taking ownership of the respective objects, but that is another story, Windows Advanced Security shenanigans. :wink:

It never was removed, you should really start reading what i said in this topic, this is getting tiring…

I have a question: what is the best shader to use with 3D Saturn games? Anything that can further smooth out the pixels/graphics?

If not that’s fine because Kronos already upscales the graphics. Just for fun I tried a game in the Yabause core and everything was a pixelated mess! Kronos looks miles better with its bilinear filtering!

I’ve never tried many, but I seen something about scalefx shaders in a post when I did a search.

Thanks. I’ve only ever used scalefx and the xBRZ shaders for Super Nintendo games. A good thing to note if you want to play any Playstation games: use the Beetle HW core as that has built in texture filtering found in the options while the game is running.

1 Like

YOU are getting tiring and don’t even know what you say, don’t ever be condescending to me thank you very much. I told you that the core told me that save functionality was disabled, how am I supposed to take that? That’s clear English. You are NOW telling me saving is still in there. I will try in admin mode like the other user did and I am sure all will be fine. Really you are not keeping track with what you are saying and blaming the user. It’s obviously a language barrier, and simple misunderstandings, so why be nasty?

I explained several times that the issue isn’t about the core, it’s about your OS not allowing you to create tmpfiles (hence the previous crash since no security was ever implemented to check the tmpfile was actually created, it was probably a given as far as the original author of this code was concerned, that’s the security i implemented the other day to prevent the crash, as i already said), and that executing RetroArch as admin might help you get around this for now. I NEVER SAID ONCE THAT SAVESTATES WERE DISABLED. Why should i disable savestates because of your idiot OS ? Now you are way beyond tiring, if you are unhappy with my explanations, get lost, i’m not here to keep repeating the same things all day.

I finished rewriting the savestate code, it should work for you without executing as admin now :slight_smile: . This is on git and will be available from online updater later today.

1 Like

It’s working great now without running as admin. Thank you for your patience and hard work in fixing this! Really appreciate it!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sega Saturn Kronos: Having trouble switching discs! (Please Help!)