Saturn Kronos core crashes on save state?! (Help!)

I don’t see anything on the left side. You mean when the game is running?

Here is the link to my log:

https://pastebin.com/M4CEf6k6)

Yes, open the retroarch menu when the game is running

Yes it is indeed 03270c0. Here is my log when the game crashed at savestate:

https://pastebin.com/M4CEf6k6)

You aren’t using default settings, especially for the “SH-2 cpu core” core option you are using “old”, which is unsupported as said in the core option’s description…

How do I enable default settings? Where is this option? I don’t see any default options in the core setting in the retroarch settings…

Oh I see it’s in the kronos options while the game is running. So I switched it from “old” to “Kronos”. Do you want another log?

Yes, to make sure it’s still crashing at the same place

Okay here it is. The game is still crashing at savestate:

Ok, so it doesn’t change anything. Well, since it seems to crash early in the savestate process, i’m more and more worried the ssd is somehow preventing the creation of that tmpfile, i’ll try to come up with a way to verify this later this week-end.

Strange…Thanks for your help!

Also question: when the game is running and in the Kronos options…what option smooths out and upscales the graphics? Because I know in the Yabause standalone emulator you could set User Integer Pixel Scaling to 4 and it would upscale the graphics.

I think just bumping the resolution option up from “Original” to 480/720/1080/etc does that.

I get a pretty bad amount of slowdown when I select 1080 resolution. Does anyone else get any slowdown in framerate when playing in 1080? Is there any way to improve the framerate if you continue to play at this resolution?

I don’t know why I’m getting slowdown at 1080p in Retroarch while in standalone Yabause the framerate is fine at 1080p.

@legaiaflame Most games I have tried on both Yaba and Kronos seem to be running at full speed or super close for me. For whatever reason, Batsugun was running like crap through Kronos.

And that’s totally normal, the more you upscale things, the more you solicit your gpu, your gpu can’t keep up with 1080p upscaling.

I don’t even know what you are talking about, Yabause is a software-rendered emulator, meaning the gpu isn’t used for rendering and no upscaling is available.

I was taking about standalone yabause 0.9.15. It does in fact have an option in the video settings to smooth out and upscale the graphics. Near the bottom of the video settings is an option that will upscale and smooth out the graphics called Integer Pixel Scaling which you can set to 4.

This option is not upscaling, it’s just creating a bigger viewport and stretching the display over it. That’s a totally different process from the real upscaling done in Kronos.

1 Like

So then what setting or function is upscaling the graphics? Is it just upscaling by default? Because I’ve compared Yabause to Mednafen. When playing a game in the Mednafen Sega Saturn emulator it is all pixelated and then when you play a game in Yabause it is indeed upscaled and smoothed out.

That smoothing out you are talking about is probably the result of some kind of post-processing you are applying upon that (my guess would be that you applied Yabause’s bilinear filter or something). That’s not upscaling, it’s just plain integer scaling, meaning if you set it to 4, 1 black pixel becomes a black square of 4x4 pixels, and that’s all there is about that setting.

Yeah I think it must be bilinear filtering then. Does the Kronos core in Retroarch have that or does it do something similar?