Scanner not seeing half of SNES games

You can try this website: https://www.marcrobledo.com/retroarch-playlist-editor/

1 Like

SNES should normally easily scanned coz they dont need the headers unlike NES does. there are tools that easily removes headers

Iā€™ll give that a shot right now, Thanks! The only reason Iā€™m so cautious about malwares is I got hit by a ā€˜safeā€™ program before that was a ā€˜false positiveā€™ and got a nasty ransomware. (Turned out at the time the site was hijacked and redirected briefly that I got said file on.) Not saying thatā€™s the case here but these days I err on the side of extreme caution.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m wondering about. I know most emulators try to be ā€˜up to dateā€™ with their CRC checks and such these days, Then thereā€™s talks of headered roms, Unheadered roms, intro and no-intro roms. As far as I know the entire collection checks out (Stephā€™s scraper on my pi found 99.9% of them, Excluding the usual bootlegs/homebrew) so Iā€™m not sure why Retroarch seems to be beyond picky.

I heard there was a bug before where if the db scan missed one bad file it would stop the entire scan but as far as I know that was patched out quite awhile ago.

i dont know how the snes database is maintained, but it should be safe to use the nointro dat (with necessary conversion that is) for checksum based on just what i said. its probably its just probably outdatedā€¦

its also possible that some of your roms are headered that is why (or the existing libretro dats have headered roms as well). Rom verified like clrmame (and probably other similar tools) intentionally ignores header, so this can probably show why you have 99% hit for matched roms.

if libretro has tools to scan without header and create another tool to create such dat without needing to physically remove headers from our ā€œpreciousā€ romsets, that would be nice, but as of the moment ---- i am creating my own dat based on romsets i have :smiley:

Welp, Tried the playlist making site @hunterk pointed me to, And I had to notepad++ the list it made and change all the paths from .\path\ to //path// but it all works now.

No idea why itā€™s so picky when itā€™s clear they all work. XD

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth, I started writing a scanner / playlist generator a while ago (Windows, Mac, Linux.) Iā€™m also not very happy with the current solutions, so Iā€™m making my own tool.

I intend it mainly for use with the ā€œNo Introā€ lists, especially the ones that include parent/clone data. For example ā€œElnard (Japan)ā€ is the same game as ā€œThe 7th Saga (USA)ā€ and I want to omit it from the playlist. But I also want to be able to ā€œjust use the damn ROMsā€ if thereā€™s files that are not in the DAT file. Or just generate a playlist from all ROMs in a directory without a DAT and just use the filenames.

I only started the project recently (literally just a couple days ago) and itā€™ll take a while before I have something that can be released though!

Having this or that core doesnā€™t matter for scanningā€¦ all that really matters is that you have the proper database downloaded (which should just come with the program) and that your romset matches what RetroArch is looking for.

How the scanning works are that RetroArch takes your file and runs it through a hash function. That means that if a single bit or byte in your ROM is different from what RetroArch is expecting, the hash will end up being different. So a single difference in the ROM header will throw it off. Even though the ROM might be clearly Super Mario Bros, if there is a single difference between your ROM and the ROM in the database, RetroArch canā€™t identify the ROM.

RetroArch looks for SNES ROMs from the No-Intro romset. If thatā€™s not the romset you have, the scanning probably isnā€™t going to work for most of your games.

1 Like