Screen artifacts on 50Hz modeline

When I play PAL optimized games under a 50Hz modeline I get strange artifacts (not so on near 60Hz modelines). Not core related, I do get them on bsnes-balanced (Asterix, Tintin in Tibet) or Genesis Plus GX (Flink, Alien Soldier).

I was testing with a 50Hz modeline first, then for Sega Genesis I created a new 49.701 modeline. I revisited the 50Hz modeline to conform to LCD standard (CRU preset) but I get these artifacts on blinking sprites or big flat areas (resembles macroblocks, or unresolved h264 bframes). To be sure I disabled the shader and still get it so I recorded a video (link). The modeline works fine with other emulators like PCSX2, but this one is not full exclusive. So any hint on how to resolve it is welcome.

I just tested alien solider PAL and get the exact same effect in the same menu, and that’s on my gsync LCD monitor. It might just be the game.

1 Like

I should test with an external emulator aside retroarch to check the issue on this game. I get another set of issues on 50Hz but are shader related mostly (reported here). I will do more tests tomorrow on that too.

Ok, I tested with blastem stand alone and it also shows the issue, I also did some tests in retroarch for the shaders and it seems it all boils down to the modeline. When recording a video there are no issues.