Sega CD and mp3?

Hi,

Most of my Sega CD games are in .ISO and .mp3 format. And there is no music with RetroArch… Is there any solution? There is any way to convert it to bin/cue format? Or mp3 to .WAV files?

Thanks

Genesis Plus GX does not support mp3 files and most likely never will. You can either convert the tracks to OGG/WAV files or re-rip your game in a clean bin/cue format.

If you want to convert you might want to give WinFF a try (despite the name it also runs on Linux if that’s your OS).

Hi!

I don’t have music in Sega CD games even though all 3 of my games are in bin/cue format.

Can this be because each of these games bin and cue files are compressed in a single zip file?

That shouldn’t matter, I don’t think, since it has to decompress the game before it plays anyway. However, there’s a pretty easy way to find out: unzip it and try playing.

[QUOTE=MegaShark;52193]Hi!

I don’t have music in Sega CD games even though all 3 of my games are in bin/cue format.

Can this be because each of these games bin and cue files are compressed in a single zip file?[/QUOTE]

Did you convert the mp3 tracks to WAV before making it bin+cue? If you didn’t, then, the tracks won’t play. Your best route, would be getting the Bin+Cue from the start, but if it won’t work best for you, try using mp3 to wav converter, there are lots of free options out there, some allows you to just drop your mp3 files, and it will make them WAV files automatically, after that, use sega cue maker, it will create a cue with your iso/bin + WAV tracks (don’t forget to delete the mp3 you converted), then you can make them bin+cue, but I bet after creating the cue with the WAV files, the games will play the tracks anyway (even before making them bin+cue).

I know this is an older thread, but I’ve been having a similar problem with Sega CD games and decided to consult this thread for help. I tried converting all the MP3 files for Sonic CD to WAV files using an online converter, but even after doing that and replacing the appropriate files in Sonic CD’s directory, I’m still not getting any music. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong here; is there an extra step I need to go through? Does the .cue file for the game require a specific type of file format for the Redbook audio tracks? Or have I just been doing the process all wrong?

i cant remember the last time i played with segacd, but as far as i know, it should work with bin/wav files, just make sure your cue sheet is correct, edit it if needed.

if you can possible just create a single bin /cue format then it probably is better.

if there are still issues, post here the cue sheet you are using and title of game, ill try to see if i can find whats causing issue.

I decided to post the cue sheet in Pastebin, since I can only open them with VLC Media Player on my computer (I’m running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 [5000 series]), and I’ve found the problem: the cue sheet is written for .bin files rather than .wav or .ogg ones. I was just under the assumption that converting the MP3 files to WAV ones would’ve been fine on its own given what I read in this thread. You can check out the cue sheet here.

Now the main question is, would I have to find a way to convert the MP3/WAV files to .bin ones, or can I just rewrite the cue sheet?

Okay, I’ve made a cue sheet with Sega Cue Maker and inserted it into the same directory as the ISO and WAV files, but I’m still not getting any sound through Genesis Plus GX or PicoDrive. The PCM tracks stored on the ISO file work just fine, but the WAV tracks still won’t play in-game.

i really do not like multiple .bin type cue sheets, unless these are from legit/confirmed dumps. in anycase i usually recreate the disk and make single .bin cuesheet(unless you want to use retroarch playlist import method in which case requires untouched .cue sheet file.

try this modified cuesheet if it works: https://pastebin.com/CcfijRqe

if it does not, try removing all lines that has
INDEX 00 00:00:00

if nothing worked, you need to use other methods to convert your image. isobuster would work.

That didn’t work either. I have a link to a Pastebin copy of the cue sheet that Sega Cue Maker generated here if you wanna look at it and see if there’s any issues with it. If there aren’t, maybe I can try using Isobuster and see how that works out.

hmm this one should play already. verify that the filenames, and/or paths are correct. by any chance you are running linux, lowercase-uppercase letters should also be checked…

Like I said before, I’m using Windows 10, so I don’t think the mis-capitalization of any letters in the sheet is causing this problem.

Looking back, I remember having a similar problem when I first installed RetroArch where I got no audio from any games, period, and it turned out to be an issue with the default audio driver; switching to dsound managed to fix the issue. Knowing this, perhaps a similar problem is affecting Sega CD emulation for me; what audio drivers do you normally use or recommend for playing Sega CD games?

Okay, I took the time to check each of my audio drivers, and all the ones that do give me audio (that is, every one but xaudio and null) won’t play the WAV tracks.

thats wierd if the retroarch audio drivers were the ones causing issue, if that is the case, then its better to post an issue in git. i know for a fact wasapi is not stable for me as is causes crackling and such but other than openal(i think its there?) all should at least give sound.

by any chance are you using latest files of retroarch? and the cores? or are you compiling them yourself?

Like I said, the drivers don’t seem to be the problem, as all the ones that do play audio don’t play the WAV tracks, openal included.

As for my version of RetroArch, I am running the 1.6.0 build, and the cores were downloaded through the UI. The cores were downloaded back when Version 1.4.1 was the current build, but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it (I have heard people cite problems with Version 1.6.0, but I don’t remember “Redbook tracks not playing” being one of them).

ok got quick test here. the 1st problem you had was that this cd-image does not have cue sheet at all, so that was probably when bad things happened, like conversion and such.

anyways this should be the cue if you want it MP3 format: https://hastebin.com/ulesujuxah.m

Sadly MP3 files are not supported in SGX/Picodrive so wav/bin is a safer option. convert the mp3 to WAV using any audio conversion tool. i use “LameXP” for my conversions. heres the cue sheet for WAVE format files. This works on both emu_cores https://hastebin.com/lenulibeve.nginx

If you really want to save some disk space OGG is another option but only Genesis GX Plus supports it. cue sheet here: https://hastebin.com/yujusaveda.nginx

And my favorite, if im not running out of storage or the game matters to me is a single bin/cue format. i use here IsoBuster to create it. https://hastebin.com/ageqayokuc.vbs

These are just my samples, other tools and/or methods might work for you but this seems to be the only formats currently supported by both cores.

Hope this helps.

Alright, I downloaded the WAV cue sheet and edited some of the filenames to match it, and now the audio’s working perfectly; thanks for the help!