Setting dual monitor game machine, 1 CRT and 1 LCD - how to

Ah yes that does lock the desktop res. Try to position the others instead.

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1024x768 --right-of VGA-1-1

xrandr --output DP1 --mode 1024x768 --right-of DVI-I-1

xrandr --output HDMI-1-1 --mode 1024x768 --right-of DP-1

xrandr --output HDMI-1-2 --mode 1024x768 --right-of HDMI-1-1

This should move everything to the right of VGA-1-1 except DVI-I-0 making it output 2.

Let me know if this works for you.

Done, nothing change… here RA verbose on terminal: https://pastebin.com/E6PNcRv1

here my .xprofile: https://pastebin.com/RJ7Fe8AY

and here xrandrr output: https://pastebin.com/gb2pgX2Y

As you can see, "xrandr: cannot find mode “CRT1_2560x240_59.63"” is due to this resolution is created “under” HDMI-1-2, not “under” VGA-1-1

But this is just my idea…

what do you think?

Someone can help me???

@Alphanu My problem could it be because I use 2 video cards?

It s a mixture of that and the fact that RAs index only counts connected devices. So in theory if all your outputs were connected there would be no issue.

It something I will have to look into, see if I can find a work around.

@Alphanu now I want to build a new pc retrogaming dedicated. I ask you for advice: I use only linux, so witch videocard is better for retroarch and linux in general, nvidia or AMD Radeon? (i use very little Steam and new generation games) Thanks :wink:

Hi my friend, about 4 months have passed, i set up a new retrogaming machine with 2 monitor (1 standard lcd and 1 crt) with ubuntu XUBUNTU 20.04 but there are the same problems… modelines are added to wrong video port then crtswitchres works bad… some help?

I you leave the monitor index on auto this will switch all displays. CRTSwitchRes will work.

Its is very hard to get multi display working. you have to ensure that your xconfig/xprofile are setup to match your card. Each machine is different and will need setting up in a different way.

Sorry I cant be more helpful with this.

1 Like

Hi, i set autoindex and crt switchres dont work for me… it could be that he is confusing from monitors (phisical devices), screen and display? In my case there is just one screen extended on 2 monitors…

I’m not sure how that setup would work.

I have not tested Xubuntu. So, The Xorg vre/config may not work well or at all as you have stated.

This has been tested and proved working on:

Ubuntu 14, 16, 18 Lubuntu 16, 18 Arch Linux with Xorg + LXDE

Not working or partially working: Fedora - switching does not always work and revolutions look odd when switching does work.

I think after your report I will be adding Xubuntu to the not working list. I believe this is an issue with the windowing environment XFCE

Hi @Alphanu , sorry for my bad english, i just installed Retroarch nightly build (with testing repo) to try out your latest CRTSwitchres changes (I was hoping the multi monitor setup finally worked) but nothing, same problem, resolutions are applied to wrong monitor, below my xradr: https://pastebin.com/93ALkBVQ

As you can see CRTSwitchres append its resolutions on a disconnected monitor, the last on the xrandr list instead of the correct one (VGA-1-1).

Besides these newly modelines are not cleared when closing retroarch.

Thanks.

Currently, my changes are not merged into mainstream RA. Hopefully, this will happen later today.

1 Like

Hi @Alphanu, i think that your code are merged, but now, when i launch a game (like bubble bobble for nes) retroarch close by itself, below terminal verbose…

https://pastebin.com/wLNiZnhk

No way to start a game now… :frowning: Some idea?

@Nikoh77 I have had a look at the output. RRDdelOutputMode only runs when ReatroArch exits. So, this should not be related to the crash.

Can you test this with CRTSwitchRes turned of? and try wit a different core and game.

Can you let me know the version of Mame and rom you are using so that I can test.

@Alphanu I had already done this test, RA closes itself only with crtswitchres turned on.

My .xprofile:

xrandr --newmode "768x576x25.00"  14.750000  768 792 864 944  576 586 592 625  -HSync -VSync interlace
xrandr --addmode VGA-1-1 "768x576x25.00"
xrandr --output VGA-1-1 --mode "768x576x25.00" --right-of DisplayPort-0

I have an intel embedded video card with vga output and one discrete gpu AMD Radeon rx 570 with HDMI/DP ports.

For my tests i use nestopia as core, but e.g. with snes9x 2010 same problem.

Ok Let me do some testing. Is this all roms?

@Alphanu Yes, standard roms that i have downloaded, until yesterday they worked fine.

OK, I have located the issue. I have just submitted a pull request with a bug fix. Hopefully, this will get merged quickly.

For now you can clone and compile my git if you want to test?

1 Like

@Alphanu many thanks, you are very kind, hopefully together we can finally get your awesome crtswitchrest to work on a multimonitor setup; I’ve been waiting for about 2 years and I really want to use it :wink:

I’ve never done this and I wouldn’t want to do something wrong

do you think tomorrow they could update ra with these changes?

Hopefully, it will be merged for tonight.