Some emulators do not fill the screen in full screen mode

Sadly, the above method did not work. Using the above method, the whole retroarch gets cropped, (to 448p) while my monitor remains at 480p. Maybe My monitor can’t handle 448p at 60hz. Either way, the snes emulation is still cropped WITHIN the cropped retroarch.

I keep thinking:

"But SNES WAS intended to be shown 4:3!! (even though the resolution itself wasn’t 4:3) "

Maybe it will work if I use crop overscan, and than make modification to the interlace shader to match the stretched image?? (But have no clue how)

PS: Lex: It actually doesn’t matter for me to just use “normal resolution” 640x480 like you mentioned. The reason for using super wide resolution is to utilize shaders other than simple scanline shader (which I don’t plan to use).

Edited: HaHa NOPE!! cropped overscan made the diagonal lines completely jittery (pronounced in earthbound). I think I should stick to cropped image like hunterk. :frowning:

Original post:

Ok, cropped overscan (set it to SNES core only) actually looks really nice, without any noticeable blurs (to my eyes at least).

I’m now thinking that adjusting the interlacing.cg (made by hunterk) to fit the overscanned 448p (to 480) is a better method.

As always, any advice on how to do this is hugely appreciated.

Why not use the native resolution like 1920×1200 or 1920×1080 or 2560×1600, depending on your monitor? Nobody’s monitor’s normal resolution is 640×480 nowadays. If you use RetroArch’s scaling and the retro/pixellate.cgp shader preset, you get as sharp an image as is possible on your monitor if it’s an LCD. If you are using a monitor with a predefined number of physical pixels built into the hardware like an LCD, LED, etc. (any monitor that’s not a CRT, pretty much), you need to use its native resolution always if you want control over how the image is displayed.

You can set the aspect ratio to whatever you want because you’re using RetroArch. Most (all?) of the libretro SNES cores provide 4:3 as the aspect ratio, so you can use “Core provided” in the aspect ratio setting in the RetroArch video settings.

[QUOTE=Lex;36854]Why not use the native resolution like 1920×1200 or 1920×1080 or 2560×1600, depending on your monitor? Nobody’s monitor’s normal resolution is 640×480 nowadays. If you use RetroArch’s scaling and the retro/pixellate.cgp shader preset, you get as sharp an image as is possible on your monitor if it’s an LCD. If you are using a monitor with a predefined number of physical pixels built into the hardware like an LCD, LED, etc. (any monitor that’s not a CRT, pretty much), you need to use its native resolution always if you want control over how the image is displayed.

You can set the aspect ratio to whatever you want because you’re using RetroArch. Most (all?) of the libretro SNES cores provide 4:3 as the aspect ratio, so you can use “Core provided” in the aspect ratio setting in the RetroArch video settings.[/QUOTE]

I know I am being unreasonably obsessive over the 480p thing, but hear me out!

I have a crt monitor (ibm p260), and the monitor can output natural 480p with scanlines (not 240p scanlines that everyone craves). With this resolution + shader that blacks out even numbered horizontal lines, you get near-perfect 240p scanlines.

Yes I am aware I can achieve that look in a very convincing way with actual HD resolution, but oh well… I guess I just want to utilize my crt as much as I can for that “half natural” scanline look :slight_smile:

Yeah, what you’re doing is fine. I do the same, though my GPU won’t put out 3840 horizontal res, so I do 1920x480 or 1920x240, depending on the display (240 on my 15khz arcade monitor and 480 on my 31khz PC monitor).

You can probably get 240p scanlines if you set it to 120 hz refresh rate and enable RetroArch’s black frame insertion. However, some monitors won’t dig on that high refresh rate and it will break on any game that does a resolution change to interlaced mode (which is a lot of games once you get to PSX/N64 era, and even a few SNES games). 480p with interlacing shader looks almost exactly the same (the scanlines are slightly rounder at the edges with true 240p) without any of those headaches.

Oh, I didn’t realize it was a CRT. Notice that I qualified everything in my post with things like “if it’s a LCD”.

yep i notice that :slight_smile:

just ran ps1 game on retroarch (crash bandicoot), and ps1 emulation is also being cropped for some reason. I thought the resolution of ps1 was 320x240? so confusing…

Same situation as with the others (~240 full-frame, ~224 active; may vary with different modes). Sega Genesis is the same, as well.

Consumer CRT TVs cut off ~10-15% of the screen with overscan but you’ll be seeing all of that with your monitor unless you use the hardware knobs to give it overscan similar to a TV’s.