New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

might i askVectorman (USA, Europe)-230321-144746 what are the best settings for this game im getting the clouds rapidly flashing i think its dithering am i right?

1 Like

Definitely the 2-phase composite or rf presets, 2-phase is the output that the Megadrive/Genesis system used so you’ll get the intended effects on screen while using those presets.

thanks just to be clear im using j-cool composite 2 phase megadrive rainbows Works good for sonic actual rainfalls especially in 1&3 uggh 3 with those red lines always gets to me. Its only stage 3 with this problem its blue instead of pink when in normal play but paused its pink like it supposed to be

1 Like

Vectorman (USA, Europe)-230321-173259 this is how it looks when not paused the clouds flicker and scroll whilst flickering is that a dithering effect?

1 Like

Ah ok.

What exactly is going on here? Mind posting a screen shot?

This screenshot looks like you’re taking a pic of just the raw image. Mind going to your settings and then go to Video and make sure “GPU Screenshot” is set to on? That needs to be on to take screenshots with shaders activated.

By the way these are new composite 2phase settings I’m working on:

Standard 2phase:

Megadrive version:

3 Likes

New Version Release (03/27/2023)

Changes Made

• Updated to guest.r’s latest shader version (2023-03-11-r1).

• Swapped out using the standard guest shader back over to the guest advanced hd shader since “magic glow” was added to it (HD I missed you). “hd” added back into the thread title.

• Changed up all ntsc 2-phase presets, swapped out the mame shader pass for the maister 2-phase shader pass so we’re going from this

Previous settings:

to this:

• Tweaked ntsc 2-phase “megadrive rainbows” presets to match the new standard 2-phase presets in appearance to give unification between the two.

• Removed the “tvout-tweaks” shader pass from all ntsc 3-phase presets.

• Raised interlaced scanline settings, interlaced content now will not be so exceedingly bright. Changed interlace mode to 3.

• Added in a ntsc 2-phase rf “megadrive rainbows” preset, total presets now go from 56 to 64 to choose from.

As always you can grab the latest pack in the first post.

8 Likes

Best SHADER ever, I was looking for quite a very long time for something like this and I had found it with you, thanks for your hard work and I’m quite enthusiastic to test it out

1 Like

Thank you, I’m glad you’ve chosen my presets to replay all your favorite classics with. I’ve been looking for something like my presets for a long time too lol, searched high and low and couldn’t find anything I quite liked, closest thing I found was the amazing work that @ProfessorBraun does, I’m a huge fan of his work and also @kokoko3k who I’m also a fan of. I think his work deserves more recognition outside of just the Libretro forum, I may just ask Youtuber Retro Crisis to do a video on his presets some time to help promote and get his name out there more. And also this guy’s shader who I’ve been keeping a close eye on, guy is producing something amazing with every update video he puts out. I hope to see his work on RetroArch one day.

On another topic I keep rediscovering how amazing Magic Glow is, in the parameters settings there’s a settings section called “Glow Pass Settings” there’s 2 “sigma” settings there one for horizontal one for vertical. I’ve turned both of those down to 20 on all my presets but if you raise them up you can make the overall image look a bit softer.

Here’s how it looks with the glow sigma settings on 20:

On 30:

On 40:

Going pass 40 was making the image too soft for my taste. It’s a cool little feature, was thinking of putting out a quick update with those settings maybe turned up to 30 but haven’t decided yet.

7 Likes

Hi All,

I followed the Sonkun install directions to a “T” and tried multiple times and when I select anything out of the 4K, 1440p, or 1080p directories it acts like it is loading but nothing actually applies and it reverts back to no shader. I am not getting an error in retroarch which is weird (on the latest verison). I also updated my guest-advanced files as outlined. Does anyone know what else I can check? The files in the main Sonkun dir work fine, just none of the HD files.

Ty.

1 Like

Ok let’s take it from the top then. First thing’s first is making sure your driver is set to vulkan. How’s that looking? And did you download guest’s latest shader pack? His update pack is mandatory or my presets will fail to load. You won’t get his updated pack simply by updating your slang shaders you have to manually install it. I put a guide on how to install it on my first post as well.

I do really like how these presets look, somehow they made me realize that an aliased image could look good over crt and these presets in difference of a progressive image

1 Like

Hey Sonkun, thanks for the help.

I wasn’t running on Vulkan (forgot I switched to DX to test out some HDR) but I am now and same behavior. I downloaded the latest guest shader pack and deleted the directories like you recommended and had no issues following the guide. I also followed your guide at the start of the post where the shaders go. The weird thing is all “non-hd” shaders in your pack works fine, it is just the ones in the preset dirs. I’ll keep playing around with it and maybe try a fresh retroarch config file as I was using the mega-bezel pack previously and noticed every time I load a game it is defaulting to that even after I clear the global presets and core presets.

Edit - got it working! I did another online update of my slang shaders and that fixed whatever was wrong. Ty again for the help!

1 Like

Nice, I’m glad you got it up and running. Now it’s time to enjoy all your favorite classics again!

Hi! nice thread. Just one question. Which is the RGB option? I only see 0 s-video, 1 composite, 2 RF, and -1 quality. Is -1 RGB? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey RetroGames4K. I’m a little confused here, where do you see those choices? The RGB presets is every 8th selection.

1 Like

Oh sorry. Didn’t know it was like this. Is this based on any other shader? I was in mega bezel thread, and at the end I saw your post, so I decided to enter. But the thing is those options come out on mega bezel as well. That’s why my confusion sorry.

1 Like

Just based on the guest hd shader with added special shader passes for the ntsc/svideo presets.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I found you thread really interesting, and I can see that those options make a difference for my settings I’m doing it for making exact copy of my Sanyo CRT. I’m basing my setting on Mega Bezel, also this shader has got CRT Guest shader in it, and these options come out in the super XBR-NTSC preset ( 0 s-video, 1 composite, 2 RF, and -1 quality) but I don’t see RGB, and I though it could make a difference, also my settings are really close, I always think something is missing. My CRT is conected by Scart RGB that’s why I thought your thread would be a lot of help. I learned a lot in your thread but I see I can’t find the RGB Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Ah ok I see, I’m glad my thread was able to help you along the way.

I’m still a little confused here, did you download my latest pack in the first post? If so you should see the RGB presets in the pack.

1 Like

Don’t worry. I’ll check your settings. Thanks :grinning:

1 Like