Thank you Libretro!

Hello, switched over from mgalaxy and maximus arcade and i have to say i love Retroarch for the following features:

-clean, fast GUI with many great features (the whole quickmenu-thing is superb!!!) -great emulation (many cores are totally useable out-of-the-box) -VERY stable (no crash, no freeze, no bluscreens) -quick and simple to use (can awake childhood memories within seconds without any trouble :slight_smile: )

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR THIS !!!

1 Like

Can’t hardly believe how nice RetroArch is! As a great fan of 80’s arcade games, and 90’s consoles, having this great software is really a blessing!

My greetings for every person who made this a real thing!

Thanks!

1 Like

Many thanks to all the developers and people who provide support on these forums! I’ve been a fan of emulation since a friend showed me NESticle in the 90s (mind blown!), but RetroArch takes it to a whole new level. Playing my retro games in HD from the couch, accessed through this beautiful interface with nicely organized playlists and box arts, is a joy.

Thanks again and happy gaming to all!

1 Like

Thanks to all the RetroArch team and community! Just got into this recently, really convenient compared to lots of separate programs, and a lot of fun. Impressive stuff!

4 Likes

Thank you for the wonderfully portable code and sensible build systems!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for making emulation a lot more accessible!

2 Likes

Although I’ve been emulating for many years, I started getting more serious in the beginning of last year. It started with me wanting to really get a handle on input lag, which is something that has bothered me over the years and still did on RetroPie which I was using at the time. Not only did RetroArch prove to have really good features to lower input lag, I was also able to make contributions to several of the cores (NES/SNES) that lowered the input lag further.

Once I had a handle on the input lag, I decided to drop RaspberryPi/RetroPie and go x86, mostly to get rid of the performance issues I had on the Pi when using input lag reducing options. The Pi simply wasn’t fast enough. I ended up building a custom mini-ITX system based on the Pentium J4205 low-power CPU. That CPU is passively cooled and approximately four times faster than the one in the Pi, along with having a faster integrated GPU as well. Here’s a photo of the system with the lid off:

Pretty basic looking, using an all metal industrial type case from Logic Supply. I prefer the utilitarian look to the plastic, gaudy stuff that’s otherwise so common these days. I also liked the fact that there’s only a power button and two USB ports in the front. Since the system is passively cooled and powered by an SSD, there are no moving parts.

Anyway, I set the system up using Ubuntu Server and RetroArch in DRM/KMS mode. I wrote some scripts to log me in automatically, set the CPU governor to “performance” and start RetroArch. I also wrote a script to limit RetroArch to 1920x1080 if the resolution of the connected screen is higher than 1080p, but otherwise use the native resolution. This was done for performance reasons if I attach a 4K screen, since running in 4K requires extra performance even just for handling the much larger rendered frame.

The system was setup and ready by November last year. However, I had two kids this summer and it got me thinking of how I could get them into some of my favorite retro games some day. I realized that my retrobox wouldn’t do, since all settings were exposed. It would probably take less than a day for a couple of young kids to corrupt the setup.

So, I decided to look into making RetroArch’s UI more configurable and to add a “kiosk mode” that would protect all settings. I started looking into this last month and recently (last week) completed the work and got it pulled into the project. Last night I updated my mini-ITX box with the new RetroArch version and configured it to have a super-clean UI experience that I would say resembles something you would actually buy as a product. From the main menu, you pretty much only have access to the playlists and an option to quit. From the Quick Menu, I’ve chosen to go with the bare minimum, which is to have access to save/load state. No distractions and no options to tweak, just games. I think it’s awesome! Here’s a couple of screens that show what it looks like (although I’m using a different color theme now):

With all this said, I just want to extend a BIG thank you to everyone involved in RetroArch/Lakka that has made something like this possible! I’ve had plans of creating a really slick “fixed”, console-like setup with a nice interface and low input lag for years and RetroArch has finally enabled that for me. In the process, I got to contribute which was fun and will hopefully be of benefit to others as well. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to future developments!

8 Likes

Damn man, that’s pretty slick. Although it’s not exactly something I have a use for currently since I use Launchbox on a Windows PC I love seeing people doing stuff like this.
Any plans to release this to the public ?
P.S. Thanks for your input lag testing and contributions to getting it lower on the NES and SNES cores.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say you can thank yourself too for implementing that nice feature everyone can enjoy now.
Don’t be too hard with your kids making them start with NES Batman, give them some time to improve their skills! :kissing:

@lordmonkus It’s already part of the nightly build.

3 Likes

Ahh nice, I generally don’t bother with the nightly builds.

That’s really great to hear, and we appreciate the work you’ve put in, as well!

My daughter just turned three and is becoming more interested in video games, though she still doesn’t really get the concept of a win-condition yet… One of her little friends has been playing Super Mario Run, which that girl’s mother suggested as a way to introduce and instill the whole “run to the right” convention.

1 Like

I didn’t say thank you on this way. It was on the frontpage.

Since I started to use it back 2015 I left the others standalone versions away.

Recently this year I have been using Retroarch in KMS/DRM mode by using an old laptop computer. I made a setup with Archlinux, it login automatically, it has an ssh server to allow me remote control. Hence, i can put games in it, start retroarch or simple shutdown :slight_smile:

So guys, I whatever people who are involved on this developer I want to say, THANKS YOU.

1 Like

Thank you! I love this program!

Thanks to everyone that made this emulation revolution a reality.

What if there was a way to offload the OS specific programming of a GUI, Drivers, and feature integration into a standardized platform that created a level of obfuscation that allowed emulation developers to focus on making the best possible core without re-inventing the wheel? RetroArch Anyone?

I think it’s going to be awhile before individual emulators disappear but perhaps a strong following of developers, dedication and focus, is what will propel the descendants of the RA emulation sandbox to truly be able to do it all.

2 Likes

thank the team for the new audio-emulation (+low pass filter) for Genesis Core. great work!!!

1 Like

Thank you for this outstanding software! I’ve lost A LOT of sleep in the last week. Haha.

I am having a problem with the new version 1.6.9 though. I tried to post a new topic, but I guess since I just joined today I don’t have that option yet. Since updating from 1.6.7 my config files are screwed up, the default and core options. Instead of having a line by line file of all of the options everything is now in one giant paragraph. How do I fix this without starting over?

What program are you using to look at them? That happens sometimes when I look at them in Notepad, but Notepad++ always handles them better.

Yes, it was Notepad. I downloaded Notepad++ and it works fine now. Thanks.

1 Like

I didn’t know there was a pinned thank you thread…

as someone that has used RetroArch (windows) nearly every single day for the last like 5 years…

From the deepest most sincere place in my heart, to everyone that works so hard to develop libretro, retroarch, the various cores. To those spending their own nights tweaking features, and updating cores. To everyone who dedicates weeks to creating that perfect shader, or overlay that brings you right back to the 80’s & 90’s. To everyone who continually peruses these forums helping others and giving their time and effort to us… (I could go on forever here)

I know for a lot of people, most of this stands as nothing more than a way to play old games… but for me, it’s so very much more.

It’s allowed me to achieve a literal dream of mine. To have a single console, with a single controller, that plays everything. Naturally, libretro only represents a piece of that puzzle, but it’s such an integral piece that it can’t be overstated.

Building my Gam3B0x Home Console has been the most rewarding experience of my life… and I simply could not have done it without the hard-work and time-sacrifice that everyone involved has contributed.

So again, and always…

THANK YOU!!!

3 Likes

Man I was looking for this thread ever since I initially joined the LibRetro forums about a week ago. I saw it and couldn’t post yet!!! I looked for it after I could post and couldn’t find it! Needs to be a sticky for sure.

Anyway I wanted to say thank you to the LibRetro team for all the hard work to make what IS the most amazing emulator/frontend ever created. I’ve always used the stand alone emulators and I first heard of Retro Arch when that Retron 5 piece of garbage hit the market and we all learned that Hyperkin simply slapped a re-skin on top of a program called Retro Arch. It wasn’t until earlier this year that I experienced the greatness of Retro Arch when I installed it on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I couldn’t believe how intuitive and how capable Retro Arch was in turning my phone into a legit portable gaming machine. I have a XBOX One controller and headphones that I keep in my car now so I can truly game on the go whenever the mood strikes. After experiencing Retro Arch on Android I moved to try it on my 2 emulating computers at home. What I didn’t expect was how much lower the input lag was on Retro Arch vs. the stand alone BSNES and Nestopia emulators which have always been a problem for me. I then discovered the “Hard GPU Sync” and “Frame Delay” adjustments which took the input lag down even further! Also I’m finally able to have some REAL N64 emulation with the Mupen64Plus core and not have to deal with the extreme glitchy mess called Project 64.

Even though emulation is very mainstream now, I want to remind everyone to never take the work that LibRetro and others who’ve made the stand alone emulators like Nestopia, FCEUX, BSNES/Higan, SNES9X, Mupen64Plus, Ootake, GensPlus GX, Kega Fusion, MAME, Model 2, Supermodel, and the GOD LIKE DOSBox emulator for granted. They’ve all made this software for the sake of preservation since the original developers, publshers, and manufacturers were certainly not interested in doing so. Yet thanks these individuals the original devs and publishers were able to see that there was a very high demand to play good old games and some of them have finally removed their heads from their collective A$$E$ and re-released their games on modern platforms. I’m NOT looking at you Nintendo! Anyway, thanks Libretro for all that you do.

3 Likes