[TUTO] How to run HDF file on PUAE

Can anyone please help me find the WHDload.hdf file? I am searching everywhere but with no luck.

guys i want to know how can i limit my fps in retroarch ?

I am really struggling with WHDLoad in PUAE - hope someone can help.

I have a number of zipped WHD files - I can launch (almost) all via LaunchBox using FS-UAE, but if I try open via RetroArch using PUAE. only ~1/4 work - so not all fail, but I can’t find a pattern to the issue???

The issue is, that when I try to load/boot the WHD files the process stops with a WorkBench window where I can browse the file system (see below) - but double clicking the .slave file says it’s an “unknown command”. Ideally I would like to be able just ‘boot into the game’…

N.B. I have the same kick-start files with the MD4 checksum matching what PUAE asks for.

Hope someone has some pointers…

Replace those ancient bad HDFs with modern LHAs.

Thanks @sonninnos for the fast reply. I gather from your response that while FS-UAE can open the all the zipped WHDs then this might be much more complex for the PUAE, but do you believe there any way of adding a load argument, config-file or similar that might help (and if so what should I search for?).

To your point of replacing the zipped HDFs files with LHA - can you elaborate on this? I am naively under the impression that LHA is ‘just’ a compression format like .zip .rar etc. but I take it that there is more to this and it is not just re-compressing the same content in a new package - or is it?

Thank you

The proper preinstalled WHDLoads are originally in LHA, and they have been converted to HDF back in the day because the core could not read LHAs directly then. So there is no need to use them anymore, and they most likely even have renamed files inside like game.slave, which will prevent any custom tooltype usage, because they are named after the slave to keep them separate.

Though there also shouldn’t be any reason why they wouldn’t work anymore. At least I haven’t found HDFs that wouldn’t boot normally, no matter if they are zipped or not.

But according to the image there is not much to launch, but just one ReadMe.info, which does not look normal at all. Only infos can be launched with that requester, and it has been working fine.

When was the last time you allowed to the core to update the WHDLoad helper image? It has been improved many times to work better with different kinds of image layouts. Simply delete the WHDLoad directory under saves and launch the core again.

Thanks again @sonninnos - I found a solution in the end and just but just wanted to share my learnings in case others stumble into this issue and thread at a later point. To some of you the below might be self evident - but as it wasn’t for me some might benefit :smile:

A) Firstly, simply converting the zip-archives to lha-archive did not change anything at all. The same that worked before still worked - and the ones that didn’t before still didn’t.

B) Deleting the WHDLoad folder under saves did not have any effect for me either (but might be relevant for others to try…)

C) Looking into the content of the zip-files, i noticed that the .slave files was called the full name of the game (e.g. 1943.slave or 5thGear.slave and not simply “game.slave” - renaming the file within the zip to game.slave made it possible for PUAE to start the WHD from zip. :tada:

D) But as I understood from the previous post, this naming might be sub-optimal, to I searched a bit more on the net, and found a collection of WHD files in LHA-format and compared them to the zipped WHD files I was trying with. The content was 100% the in my files and the newly downloaded (down to when they had been changed). The only exception was, that for all the zips PUAE could not run, an .info file was missing with the corresponding the game name (e.g. 1943.info) If I added this file to the zip from the lha the PUAE could also run the WHD from my zip file :tada:

(I have no idea about if/how you can generate such a info file if you just have the zip archive with slave file and data)

In conclusion FS-UAE run the WHD regardless of the naming/info file - but PUAE needs either a corresponding .info file to the .slave file OR the .slave file named precisely game.slave.

…at the end of the day I do not want to move info files for for all the archives manually, to I just used the newly downloaded archives instead - as they could be run by both FS-UAE and PUAE in Retro Arch (e.g. on my Steam Deck).

@sonninnos - feel free to add if you have any additional insights or perspectives on this.

Yes, it is by design that the info and slave must match in order to know which one to boot automatically. And if there are multiple infos, the same requester is shown that is shown when holding fire button.

There is no fail safe mechanism to pick slaves that are not paired with any info at all. I guess it could be done, but is it worth it… Perhaps those versions ought to get forgotten, since the read-only LHAs are much more fail proof and compact.