Using overlays as borders

Yes.

Not worth the trouble if you ask me. I would wait until overlay0_full_screen is supported.

See https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/w … figuration and check the bit where it says “Full-screen vs. full-viewport overlays”. Enabling that would simplify and perfect the usage of overlays as borders but it may be a long time before it happens since the Wii port doesn’t get version specific work done as it did before. Basically we didn’t get this option because the width resolution can be changed at anytime.

You can follow the info on this thread to figure out how to do it but don’t expect quality.

Yes.

Not worth the trouble if you ask me. I would wait until overlay0_full_screen is supported.

See https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/w … figuration and check the bit where it says “Full-screen vs. full-viewport overlays”. Enabling that would simplify and perfect the usage of overlays as borders but it may be a long time before it happens since the Wii port doesn’t get version specific work done as it did before. Basically we didn’t get this option because the width resolution can be changed at anytime.

You can follow the info on this thread to figure out how to do it but don’t expect quality.[/quote]

Thanks for the aswer, I tried the ones of Maeson and they look nice! :slight_smile:

Well since you act like you’re still not sure how it works, I’ll give you a quick run through.

In the opening post there’s some info on the subject but at the time I wasn’t exactly clear on what I had to do to imitate the GBP or anything else, so there’s some stuff you should probably not follow.

At the bottom of that post I left a link to a dropbox folder with a bunch of ripped borders. And if you look at the fourth post you’ll find info on how to make the overlay cfg file.

Make a text file and copy this:

overlays = 1 overlay0_overlay = name.png overlay0_full_screen = true overlay0_rect = “0.2,0.3,0.5,0.4” overlay0_descs = 0

It’s fairly simple to make out what each function does. Just focus on overlay0_rect, if it’s an SGB border use “0.0,0.012,1.0,0.976”, if it’s a GBA border use “0.049,0.0,0.902,1.0”. As previously stated overlay0_full_screen does not work, but if it did you would not need rect or to use RA’s scale setting.

Maeson’s pack simply offers both .png and .cfg but it’s made out of the same info you find here (the border pack, and the rect numbers).

You should also follow the horizontal reso of the border with the x480 screen resolutions if you can. Additionally some GBA games can get pretty bright so you can take advantage of the overlays and edit a border so the inner bit is a block of pure black with around 20% transparancy.

That’s about all that comes to mind, if there’s something you don’t understand just ask and I’ll try to answer.

Cool, Thanks SuperrSonic, can you help me to put the correct size for the games? both gba and gbc. I want to know how you do it, did you first resize the picture and the apply the overlay? i`m confused on that part.

The border types for both GBA and GBC are for the “original size”. For example GBA games are 240x160, in RA the Wii is by default 640x480, what you do is multiply by 2 the original resolution, in this case it’s 480x320 (if you multiply by 3 it won’t fit your screen).

In RA in the video settings there are options called custom ratio, or something to that effect.You simply input these numbers in the blanks. (see the downloaded .cfg for reference) above that should be the screen position numbers, you have to input these manually. If you want a centered image (in most cases you do) you take the wide of the screen resolution (if it’s an SGB border reso should be 512 pixels wide) in this case 608 pixels because of the GB Player borders, then simply follow this formula: 608 minus 480 = 128 divided by 2 = 64 For vertical centering it’s the same way: 480 minus 320 = 160 divided by 2 = 80

With these two values you can center the screen when using 608x480 as the screen resolution, but it’s done the same way with anything else. For GB or GBC it would be 320x288 and the centering for 512x480 would be 96, 96 for 608x480 it would be 144, 96 Though you could do this with 640x480 the result would be inaccurate to both SGB and GBP.

Now that we have 608x480 (didn’t appear on RA 1.0.0.2). What do you think of using 608x240?, would it be wrong? I think it looks crispier since is 240p.