Video layout usage

[UPDATE]
You can use Lakka from USB-Stick, so you don’t have to alter something on your system. (assumed booting from stick is not disabled in the BIOS/UEFI).

Use this image: http://nightly.builds.lakka.tv/PRs/pr_838_000118/Generic.x86_64/

This shows, that it is definitively a problem with the driver and not with the card.

Be aware, that not all shaders are working, e.g. multi-pass shaders goes black, but i heard this is a known behaviour with Video Layout in general.

1 Like

I tried on Linux with this archive using RA nightly and it works as expected using video driver GL.

Source

Is there a way to make the MAME video layouts auto load in the retroarch MAME/FBNEO cores if they exist in the layouts folder? Stock MAME does this. In retroarch you need to go into the menu and load each video layout manually, and then save it as a game override to get it loaded again. Stock MAME just auto loads if it exists.

For example, if you have both a rom and a layout in /roms/galaga.zip and /artwork/galaga.zip MAME will autoload the .lay file from the zip. In retroarch it’s a manual menu load and manual menu save.

Would love to see this as a feature if it is not existing already. With so many great bezels out now it would be great to have a layouts collection in a directory and then autoload from retroarch cores like FBNEO and MAME cores.

For MAME you need to have the mame layout *zip files in

RetroArch/
    system/
        mame/
            artwork/
                *rom-name*.zip
1 Like

Thank you! I will have to try that. I thought I remember reading they show up at lower resolution in the MAME core this way. Is there a way to autoload for FBNEO?

I just tested this and the artwork is very low resolution. I also change the adaptive resolution in the options for the newest mame core and it was a tiny resolution.

Personally, I would love to see this feature added to FBNEO to auto-load.

If the MAME core has the “alternate render” option, that will prescale the image to something large, like 1600x1200, which should make the layouts look better.

Just curious! Is this video layout feature working in the Linux version as well with gl? Trying to load a .lay file on both the newest lakka and retropie crashed and closed retroarch on my pi4.