Edit: *Vulkan* causing black bands that roll down the screen

I think it is vsync related. I haven’t noticed it without vsync but then the screen tears. I’ve tried changing settings to no avail. Black frame insertion is off. I do notice the estimated refresh rate number can jump all over at times. I have refresh rate set to 59.95. Have tried 60hz. Nothing remedies the issue. Black bands spill over into the menu as well and can sometimes eat up half the screen. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Which video driver are you using, and have you tried changing it?

Do you see this happen in both fullscreen and windowed (or windowed fullscreen) modes?

I know I’ve seen this behavior before, but I don’t presently recall what caused it…

I am using the vulkan driver. I have tried windowed full screen and the same thing happens. I came across another possibly unrelated post that mentioned setting throttle to 1x. Since I have done that I have yet to see the bands appear again. I’m hoping this is the answer. My question is, why would this matter? The throttle speed seems to be related to fast forwarding and rewinding.

The problem still persists. I will try switching video drivers and see if it still happens.

Ah, can’t speak to the Vulkan driver – it’s got enough strange issues on my system that I’ve stuck with OpenGL.

As far as throttle goes… well, there’s your answer. Now I do remember where I saw the banding thing, and that was it. AFAIK, throttle is what keeps the core from running as fast as possible instead of (as close as possible to) realtime. That’s why you were getting jumping frame rates.

As for the black bars… that might be a result of wonky Vulkan frameswap stuff. I think that might be when I saw the effect myself, when trying to get Vulkan to work right.

Glad you found something that works, though!

Hello everybody !

I Have a big issue with my shaders, I test the borders but it’s look like that, I don’t know why

Someone can help me please ?

That looks like your red and blue channels are swapped. We’ll need a log and some information about your system, like device/OS, etc.

Hey thanks you for the answer

How I can get that and send to you ?

This page tells you how to do it:

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

Take the contents of the log and paste them here (please select the log text and press the </> button in the toolbar to make it easier to read).

Seems this thread was hijacked. Problem persists but hasn’t presented itself as badly as before. All I changed was the vertical refresh rate option (to 59.945). However, since the estimated screen framerate jumps around, I don’t know how accurate it is.

It mentions the refresh rate will be ignored if threaded video is enabled. What does this do and where can I find the option? Might as well test it out.

Thanks for reporting my own posts to me :expressionless:

I get that they’re off-topic, but there’s no way to move them anywhere, just delete them, and it’s a consequence of people not being able to make new threads. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Threaded video should be in settings > video. If you don’t see it, go to settings > user interface and make sure ‘show advanced options’ is enabled.

My bad, I realized right after marking them that you’re a moderator :man_facepalming: Thanks, enabled threaded video, will report back with results.

Issue still persists. Running out of ideas. GL seems like it works, but is not the preferable option. Silent Hill for example - GL has white boxes around all the sprites/models. I really want to get vulkan working properly.

Appears this is an issue with Nvidia/Vulkan and 4k - See Here. Not sure if this is something that Nvidia would have to fix or the software, but it sounds like it’s Nvidia. Going to try rolling back drivers a few months to see if that works.

1 Like

Okay well since I am able to create my own topics now I am editing this to remove what I said. While it was related to vulkan it was not of the same problem as this topic and I did not want to hijack it.