2600 Roms/Thumbnails cause console crash (PS3)

I can get a bunch of other roms to work with covers and they work very well. NES, Genesis, GBA, GameGear etc. but I have tried 5 different rom packs from no-intro and other reputable rom packs and they scan just fine, but as soon as I add a box art folder (from libretro). when I scroll onto the 2600 icon the console freezes. the art works perfectly fine for the other rom consoles.

Any Ideas?

I don’t know of anything that would cause that… Does it crash if you place a single thumbnail (i.e., not the full set) in there? I’m wondering if it’s a RAM/memory issue.

YES!!!

with one thumbnail and all the roms, I can get the single thumbnail to work!!! what does this mean?

THANK YOU!!! everytime I get a few more problems sorted out I get excited for the prospect of all of my favorite old games, in one place all organized.

That probably means that it’s running out of RAM. I guess try adding a few more until it chokes.

I was talking with some other folks the other day and it seems there was a change in scanning awhile back that probably caused it to break on very RAM-constrained platforms, such as PS3. I’m not sure there’s any going back to the old way, though.

I will eye dropper it till it dies and then i will report back.

I deleted 2 of the 3 folders and just kept “boxart” it is working fantastically now!!

I checked the other rom lists such as NES and there is 1.3GB of images and my Atari 2600 only has about 300MB. I don’t know technically how the RAM works but it does not seemed to be based on size. whatever. its working now and I love it!!

Thanks!!

1 Like

Perhaps with the other 2 directories present, it was loading all 3 images into RAM and then running out of space…?

1 Like