Can't make Sega CD ISOs work at all

(I wrote this under Android because it’s where I first experienced the problem, but I’ve had it with the Windows version, too.)

I can’t get Sega CD ISOs to run on Retroarch. I have the newest version, I’ve searched the Internet high and low, and everything I’ve tried and everything I’ve read to try fails.

I have all the BIOS files for Sega CD. I have multiple versions of each one–Japan, Europe, and US. I have versions in the Retroarch folder, versions in the folders with my ROMs, versions in a custom folder with Retroarch’s settings changed to point to that folder. I have BIOS files with their original names, I have BIOS files with the custom names suggested by other places on the Internet.

I have four different Sega CD ISOs, and with each one, the same thing happens:

1)I load the Picodrive core, 2)I load the ISO for the game, 3)Retroarch immediately crashes.

(I tried the Genesis Plus core too, just in case. Same thing.)

I have no idea what to do here. It’s happened on more than one OS now. It happens with every single game I try. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Red here: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Genesis_Plus_GX

That didn’t provide me with any new answers. However, I was able to get the Genesis Plus engine to work on Windows by copying the BIOS files directly into the pre-set system folder. I had them in the system folder on my Android, but it still crashed whenever I loaded a game. I’ll see if I can get it to work on Android as well somehow.

I still can’t get background audio to work on any games, but that is another problem.

To play sega CD games on retroarch, I had pretty much the same issue. I had difficulties changing the directory Retroarch would check for BIOS files, so I had to shove the BIOS file into the default directory instead and things started working.

What is the default directory for you ?

I had the exact same issue when attempting to configure Sega CD games on my Fire TV (Gen 2) but i figured it out. What you have to do is manually create a playlist file, making sure all of the text points to the correct files (use DETECT for things you do not know), place it in the Retroarch/system/playlist folder. From there, if you want to use thumbails, you’ll need to also make sure that you manually create those folders and name them Sega - CD. Lastly, you will need the correct BIOS files and place hem in the Retroarch/system folder. Once you do all of that, it will work. The only thing that is though, the asset icon for Sega CD is not there so it will be the default rocket ship looking thing. Currently, I am trying to figure out how to change that to the standard Sega Genesis controller icon but I am not having much luck.

Hope this helps!

This link appears to be bad.

The correct playlist name is ‘Sega - Mega-CD - Sega CD’. You will get nice icons using that name.

I think I tired this but i will double check to make sure i didnt make a typo error. Thank you so much for your suggestion! I will post back a reply and let you know what I find out.

I can help you!, let me know if you can see the following Link. https://www.marcrobledo.com/retroarch-playlist-editor/