Compressing ROMs and ISOs

My god, I think I will have to find at least an used 5tb spare HDD, just in case. It has been 2 years of work and no way I could bear that lol

I’m sharing these scripts in the most common places I visit so more people will benefit from this information:

On Github, I contacted Unknown W. Brackets, among other tools, he developed maxcso, which a lot of people use to compress games for PS2 and PSP to save space.

He sent me a useful batch script that will facilitate compression/decompression, I’m posting the script here.

Hopefully it will be attached to the OP as well.

Instructions:

First of all, get the latest MAXCSO version on Github here:

Than extract MAXCSO.exe to the same folder where this batch is in your computer.

CSO to ISO batch will decompress CSO compressed files back to ISO, you need to open this batch in notepad (notepad++ recommended), and add the input CSOs folder in “set inpath=” and the output ISOs folder in “set outpath=”

**set inpath**=Your CSOs folder path here
**set outpath**=Your decompressed isos folder path here

ISO to CSO batch will compress PS2 and PSP backed up games to CSO, saving tons of space, instructions are like above, just make sure you set the input folder path for your ISOs first and the compressed CSO files in outpath.

As a bonus I’m also posting more two batches that will compress Bin+Cue to CHDs and ISO to CHDs.

Like in MaxCSO batches, all you have to do is making sure you have, in this case, CHDMAN.exe in the same directory as the batch and set the input and output folders like this:

**set rompath**=your original bin+cue or iso (if you're compressing isos) folder here
**set destpath**=your CHD compressed folder

Note that the ISO to CHD batch is different and will not compress games that are in other formats and vice versa.

Obs: Even Bin with multiple bin tracks+cue will be compressed and the game will play as usual like it was from the real CD in a single CHD.

Link to the scripts

1 Like