Continuing PSX game on CD2? (windows)

Hi everyone, I hope Im at the right place for support questions.

Ive been using Retroarch with the PSX Rearmed core on my Windows 10 PC and now Ive encountered a problem: Im through CD1 of a multi-CD game. So far I have only been using save states to save my progress, since the internal memory card save isnt working (Ive put some BIOS files in my system directory which are being loaded, but game internal saving still doesnt work). Is there any way to continue my game on CD2 without memory card data only working on save states? Or any ideas in general why I cant save on memory card to begin with?

The game in question is Grandia and it is being loaded from a .bin file. There is also a .cue file in the games directory that I havent used so far, no idea if thats relevant.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Take a look here:

Hi, thanks for the answer. I dont know if I missed something in there, but this solution doesnt work for Grandia. Ive already found the method to change the CD successfully while in my save state, but I cannot continue playing on CD2 since Grandia wants me to load an actual memory card file. Is there a way to create it or a workaround to it?

Multi disc games will need the actual in game save in order to progress to the next discs, reaching the end of Grandia (Disc 1), you’ll create a save file in a virtual memory card, using the provided link in my last post will help you further.

Okay, I resolved the problem by simply using the Beetle PSX HW core instead of ReARMED which simply seems to have saving issues and doesnt create mcr files. Luckily the srm worked for both cores (save states didnt) and immediately showed my progress from the previous play in the memory card loading screen and I can continue my game.

@aorin1 I followed the instructions in you link, but that didnt change anything. I was able to change disks without problem before, there was just no save file being shown in rearmed. Beetle showed the default ingame save from the srm away without need of a m3u-file. But thanks for you help nonetheless!

I’m glad you sorted that out.

You could use 2 methods

1.- use an m3u playlist to switch disks 2.- (my favorite) use EBOOTs, there is software to convert your games from cue + bin to EBOOT or you can transfer your PS1 games from a PSP, there is also the óptica to download them but that is (as all we know) piracy

There are a few select games that don’t work with the pbp eboot compression. I wasn’t able to find a list myself…

I know that Street Fighter Alpha… dang can’t remember if it was 1, 2 or 3… maybe 2gold… anyway, one of them freezes after character selection with PBP. Soon as that happened I dropped that as a compression format.

Hmmm… I have not tried SFA3, I should try it to see what you say

Yeah it’d be interesting to see if you got the same result on that game. Either way, whatever games there are that ‘officially’ don’t work with PBP they were few and far between. Like a smidgen of the whole picture for sure.

It’s certainly a viable format, but something to look out for.

CHD should be the recommended compression format nowadays over PBP(if it isn’t already). Compresses better and 100% support. Of course you need to make m3u’s for multidisc games but that’s very simple. There’s lots of people who have converted their entire collection to CHD.

I agree @Fergdog, all my PBPs became CHDs, I’d keep them as PBP if I still had the PSP around, which is not the case anymore. #Stolen