DS4 Controller Woes

So this is going to be pretty specific, please bare with me. I have the SNES Classic. Latest Hakchi CE, latest Retroarch. ROMs and cores I have all load fine. I bought the 8bitdo retro receiver (bluetooth). Paired it with my DS4 (Playstation 4 controller). I noticed that L2 and R2 are just doubled up L1 and R1 and that the right stick wasn’t being read at all. Flashed different firmware onto the 8bitdo retro receiver (v1.05b). Now the L2 and R2 are being read as individual buttons and the right stick is being read too. However, the face buttons have been messed up (X is now A, etc). That’s okay, I’ll just rebind the controls in Retroarch…

Now, a new problem. When I bind my controls in Retroarch, the new bindings work great, but are not saving. If I quit out of retroarch for any reason, all my inputs are reset. I went to https://docs.libretro.com/guides/input-and-controls/ and confirmed I am doing everything correctly. I have no idea how to fix this. Please help, I am so close to having this all worked out.

Did you disable autoconfiguration?

I did not. I thought hitting “User 1 Save Autoconfig” was setting my bindings as the autoconfiguration.

Ok, I wasn’t clear on whether you were trying to create a new autoconfig or were just hard-mapping. My suggestion would be to: make sure before you map that you hit ‘default all’ and then do it again after you save the autoconfig. It might take 2 loops through for it to stick for some unknown reason.

If that still doesn’t get it, try manually deleting the conflicting autoconfig from your filesystem and then save your custom autoconfig. Then, make sure it has created the file as and where you expected.

So for that first part, I just want to be clear. The steps are

1. User 1 Bind Default All
  2. User 1 Bind All
  3. Map them out.
  4. User 1 Save Autoconfig
  5. Start at step 1 again

Yeah, see if that process treats you any better.

Okay, I am at work, but I will try that out tonight and see how it goes. If not, I’ll FTP in and mess with the files. Thank you.

So that didn’t work. I even disabled autoconfig and when I reloaded retroarch, all my binds reset and autoconfig was enabled again. I would think it’s not saving, but retroarch saves states and specific game remaps just fine…

So I got it. I closed the content that was running and then pounded the save button a bunch out of frustration and it worked. It saved my inputs. I’m not sure why but… Whatever! It worked! Thanks for the help!

1 Like