Games with bad overscan/display defaults

Hey guys,

As the title says, I am looking for games that have bad overscan/display defaults. The reason being that I am going through my build and auto-loading the image-adjustment.cg shader to correct these problems. Once I get a large set I’d be happy to share the files if anyone actually wants them.

For example, pretty much every Master System game has that column on the left which is empty/garbage. (Play Sonic 2, if you are unsure what I mean) So I just set a core-preset with the shader.

Or Mega Man X3 for the Sega Saturn was displayed in this stupid bordered window during gameplay.

Super Mario 64 has a sort of ‘letterbox’ effect in that several pixels on the top and bottom are just black space.

Things of this nature is what I’m looking for. Now, I KNOW there are a ton of PAL games that have these issues, but with regards to those games I’m only looking for PAL titles that did not have an NTSC-US release. ( Like Mega Man X3, for example. )

So if anyone can think of anything, I’d be grateful for your suggestions. :smiley:

I know what you mean, specially in the Master System case. Lots of Saturn games has different resolutions, while it’s not a overscan issue, it bothers for those like me that like to use overlays and fill the entire display area touching them. Lots of Capcom games will have borders for PSX, Saturn, Genesis, SNES, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, the resolution on the saturn is wild. I initially set it so everything matched the boot-screen, but then I was playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter and the sides were cut off lol

That stuff is exactly what I mean though, like Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Saturn I was able to cut the sides off and it was perfect.

Nice, do you use 4:3 bezels? If so, I’d be interested in using your presets.

I don’t. I actually play in 3:2 as weird as it sounds lol.

It’s cause the HDMI>RF converter I have displays my PC at 720x480 so 3:2 is what fills it and it ‘looks’ like 4:3 as a result. Goofy, I know lol.

I’m hoping it doesn’t get too screwed up when I buy an HDMI>Composite cable, but I’ll probably stick with RF anyway, gotta get that CH3 action goin’.

Hi, Regarding Mednafen Saturn Core, can you please explain how to set the Horizontal Overscan Mask option ? Which number have I to set ? I m looking for pixel perfect and I have already the Integrer Scale to On and aspect Ratio to 1:1

Thanks

Well I’d think if you have it set to 1:1 it’d be pixel perfect already, right? That should make all pixels perfect squares.

Horizontal Overscan Mask though is just going to stretch the screen horizontally from a factor of 0 to 60.

There’s no universal setting though. For instance It should be set to 0 for X-Men vs. Street Fighter because that game uses the entire screen space. Whereas something like Mortal Kombat Trilogy that uses the same screen-space as the BIOS boot-screen I have set to a value of 32.

But again, that’s going to stretch you away from pixel perfect. If your setup with 1:1 Aspect and Integer set to ON… then I think you are already at Pixel Perfect.

Thanks for answer. I did not understand this option because a value that was correct for a game, was not for another. So I thought I was doing something bad.