General speed-up tips?

So, my main system is more than qualified to run everything I throw at it, but I’ve been taking my laptop with me a lot recently. With my games, frontend, and retroarch on an external HDD I’ve been able to play 8-bit and 16-bit games beautifully.

I start running into issues with Saturn, PlayStation, and N64 though. Nothing major, but just enough slowdown to really kind of make it not enjoyable.

I know I can turn on threaded video, and turn off v-sync… but are there any other tips for just a general speedup?

You could try different Drivers (Settings, Drivers, Video).

I have a Windows tablet that, for some reason, runs faster with DirectX 10.

Although, from the sound of things, it could be that your computer isn’t fast enough to emulate the 3D systems.

You could try dropping the resolution of your monitor before running Retroarch to see if a lower resolution helps. I think there is also a ‘video_fullscreen_x’ and ‘video_fullscreen_y’ option in the retroarch.cfg where you can specify the res. when it runs full screen.

And if you’re using any shaders, remove them and just use ‘bilinear’.

The usual - disable shaders, disable latency options, try different cores/drivers. One other way is to use integer scaling, this slightly speeds up some cores when it doesn’t have to stretch the screen out to a specific ratio.