Is there a way to force RetroArch to remember controller order?

I have multiple controller setups I’m using. Primarily, 3 DualShock 3 controllers, but also, an 8bitdo SNES30, an 8bitdo SFC30, and two Qanba Carbon arcade sticks.

RetroArch is pretty good about sorting the DualShock 3 controllers. It’s just a matter of turning them on in the right order. But with the 8bitdo controllers, it consistently will make the SFC30 player 1, instead of the SNES30, regardless of which one is turned on first. And I don’t want that.

So, is there a way to make the SFC player 2, when both controllers are connected to bluetooth?

You’d think Microsoft would’ve addressed this by now. This has been an issue for years. PC gaming has come a long away, but still there’s no way to configure gamepad IDs in windows.

On linux, i suppose we could play with udev rules…

Now THAT would be awesome.

It would give the user more control. I have to get creative to get everything to work correctly, as it stands… the most effective solution is just to unplug everything that isn’t in use, so that things don’t get screwed up.

On a side note, wouldn’t it be awesome if someone would invent a hardware/software solution, that is a sort of dedicated hub, just for gamepads? I’d personally pay buku $$$ for something like that.

Like, you could plug in all of your devices at one time, then prioritize them from a master list, and it would always remember them, and always auto-sort them based on that list.

Would it work with every core ? I kinda remember some consoles (or perhaps it was specific games ?) having input issues when gamepad was plugged at runtime.

Did this ever get resolved? Would be nice to “bind” specific controllers as #1, #2, etc

No. In Windows I believe you can use a utility called “devreorder” but it’s external to RetroArch.

Joy2Key also has options for this afaik

1 Like