Mame 2014 0.151/0.152?

I have done some searching and I have seen some questions regarding MAME 2014. In my current version of retroarch it claims MAME 2014 is running 0.159 version of MAME. I have seen in older threads it runs 0.151/0.152 version. My question is is there a way to obtain this older core version of MAME 2014 or does it even exist?

MAME2014 used to be the up-to-date-with-upstream version, so it got updated over time until we decided to snapshot it at 0.159.

What’s the reason you want 0.151-2 vs 0.159?

I went to update my romset to .159 with clrmamepro, and I noticed after all was said and done and I scanned that what I had after the conversion was pretty messy a lot of missing roms that I had previously that kind of thing. Was hoping their was a way to use an older version of the core to prevent having to go through the process. Is it a worthwhile suggestion to archive the different mame versions of the same core going forward to avoid this problem, I am sure a lot of people have this issue seeing how many different versions of MAME are out there?

You can, sure. Constant updating and breaking ROMsets is kinda MAME’s deal, though. If you download a torrent of the latest set, you can put your existing set in there and tell your torrent client to verify existing files or whatever and it will only download the things that are new/changed and then you can use clrmamepro to downgrade your set to 0.159.

Aren’t most full set torrents compressed though, how could it verify your uncompressed files against a compressed file or am I missing something?

I don’t know that the monolithic zips are actually compressed or if the ROMs are just lumped together for simplicity. If the latter rather than the former, you should be able to throw yours in a non-compressed zip as well and then let it run the check.

hunterk, just as an aside simply because I am curious about the development of Retroarch. If you look around at romset availability it seems certain versions are the most common, out of curiosity I want to ask why Retroarch doesn’t align its MAME versions with that?

We did for some, like MAME2000 and MAME2010, which share romsets with imame4all and most of the mobile MAMEs, respectively. 078 was chosen because it was the last(ish?) before a major structural change caused a big slowdown and 2014 was just snapshotted when they drastically changed the buildsystem, which necessitated a rebase on our end.