Mednafen Saturn Image Cache not working

Even with this feature enabled, I noticed the emulator is still reading the disc from the HDD, the external drive sleeps after 30 seconds or so of inactivity, when the game needs to read the next data, it freezes and waits for the HDD to wake.

Windows 10 and games in CHD extension.

last time i checked, CHD on mednafen cores do not have the cd-image caching support. this was added to PSX sometime ago. i backported this to supergrafx but this doesnt seemt o be working there now.

1 Like

The way to check would be to look at your RAM usage. If it jumps up by 800 MB or whatever, it’s caching.

So basically, only PSX mednafen cores are caching CHDs, making my sets CHDs was a nice move to save tons of storage space, but sometimes it’s a problem.

Hunterk, I’ll check the RAM usage next time, but since Wertz confirmed it’s only working for PSX, and my HDD was being read as I stated above, it won’t be needed for Saturn.

Should I post this issue on github or something?

Sure, issue on github will ensure that it doesn’t get forgotten.

@wertz how intensive is the fix?

at that time, the modifations was easy to follow (i cant remember if there was issue though like unable to clean the cache after w/o restarting RA etc).

not sure how the CHD code works now though and if the same stuff would still work, but this was how i did it on Supergrafx

2 Likes

Wait, I just noted something really unusual here, I said above I’m using this program called Keep HD Alive that writes empty txt files in order to keep the external HDDs running, but I noticed that Retroarch is somehow disabling this program, I mean, it doesn’t close it or conflict with it, the program just stops writing the empty file and only start to work back when I close RA, how could this be? The HDD turns off after some minutes of gameplay and when I save my progress, there goes the HDD starting to spin and freezing the emulator for a few seconds. This is new.

Wertz, so basically, with this line you mentioned it should work for other cores that support CHD files, but anyhow it’s not working for the supergrafx core, right?

the issue in supergrafx is that this modification was overwritten in later updates so it now seems to have been removed, hence its not working in the core (sgx). only psx has this cd-caching available but not on other mednafen cores that has CHD (they use basically the same chd code parts).

1 Like