Reicast Issues

Hey there! First of all, thanks to everyone that has made Retroarch possible. I absolutely love this program!

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked but I couldn’t find it with a search. I am having a couple of issues with trying to get Reicast to work properly on an Amazon Fire TV device (Gen 2):

1. I have no idea if the BIOS files I have are correct even though when I check the core info screen it says they are present and I see no errors or anything
  2. Playlist works but anytime i boot up a game file (.bin and .cue format) it goes to a green screen and displays “Cannot load playlist from file” or something similar.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to verify if the BIOS files are indeed correct? Checksum says MD5 in the Core info screen.
  2. Is there something I need to know in regard to using the .bin and .cue file formats? I checked the typical issues such as if the .cue file points to the .bin and is named correctly. While these cue files look different than other systems, it appeared to be fine from what I could tell.

Thanks again!

Sinistradian

2 Likes

That all sounds fine. Can you load the game without using a playlist? that is, just by using ‘load content’? Someone else reported having problems loading games from playlists with Reicast, so perhaps there’s an issue.

Ahhh good suggestion! I will try that and let you know. Thanks!

Not to thread-jack but you’ll probably come into this issue too… unable to load MAME roms specific to atomiswave / naomi though Reicast core atm.

I’ve tried various BIOS from different romsets and nullDC-Naomi variations for the awbios.zip and still get this error.

Warning: Region 3 bios not found in awbios.zip
awbios.zip: Cannot open bios0.ic23
Error: cannot load BIOS. Exiting

Anyone have any ideas as to why? Should is it related to the romset revision?

Ah nevermind… took me a while to figure out that the bios files actually have to be listed in a different directory as well… the more you know.

All good man. I didnt get a chance to test out the suggestion above last night but will try here soon. I would really like to get Dreamcast running with Retroarch.

Would there be a way to load different Region BIOS for NAOMI? Currently, it only Loads Japan Region.

List of the BIOS Regions from MAME

EDIT: Can confirm that Users can change the Region of NAOMI Games.

Grab the MAME naomi BIOS pack, or either of the naomi gd BIOS Packs, containing the above Image list of BIOS.

RENAME selected BIOS you want to naomi_boot.bin

Place in “retroarch/system/dc”

Run Game. Game will now display proper Region.

Now to only figure out how to run Atomiswave Games. Do the BIOS need to be renamed???

Interesting… I thought we were to use naomi bios image that match that matched the file name epr-21576h.ic27 with a md5 of 3bffafac42a7767d8dcecf771f5552ba

So going by that logic of using epr-21577h.ic27 with a md5 of 3fa70886c90c0b122b60474d847a9e7a will actually work. Clearly Retroarch is not checking to ensure the file matches the md5 at this time.

What games may I ask did this actually make a difference for you? I assume this wouldn’t make much of a difference for the machines running Japanese only.

You can directly place naomi.zip and awbios.zip from mame into the retroarch/system/dc folder, that’s the prefered method since this commit from 2 days ago : https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator/commit/996cd721937277d94f5999b1a58ee473e7826f83.

Core options also allow to select region now (as long as the corresponding bios is present in naomi.zip/awbios.zip).

2 Likes

Well CapvsSnk Pro must be the JP Region or it will not work, same with sfz3u.

Not sure, but I dont think it is integrated in the Android Build yet. That Option does not show. The Option “Region” in Quick Menu/options" refers to Dreamcast. Just tested it with CapVsSnk Pro . When I remove naomi_boot.bin (US File), then it can not Load the Game.

Region core option affects all systems

I don’t understand, do you have naomi.zip in the folder ? If you have, naomi_boot.bin is no longer needed. If you don’t have it, region core option won’t work.

I have all 3 bios files recommended on here, in there and Region Switching worked for me. Finally games are in English and not Japanese. Wide Screen Hack doesn’t work for me, though; anyone else? Shield TV 2015, lst/bin files, all 3 bios files

Weird. I have the naomi.zip in “retroarch/system/dc” with the naomi_boot.bin deleted. Always get “failed to load” .

But on Windows, it works perfectly as described. Removed naomi_boot.bin, and have naomi.zip with all the BIOS inside, and CapVsSnk2 ran in ASIA BIOS. Adjusted the Region Setting to US and also changed the Broadcast to NTSC, Exit, run again, and it is now USA Region.

EDIT: It seems I think I had a wrong naomi.zip in place on the Android. I replaced it with the one I used in Windows, and now it works as described :smiley:

EDIT II : There is 1 Issue I am confused about - the Capcom Vs. SNK Millennium Fight 2000 (NON-Pro) Version…how is this one created if it is marked as being a .bin File? Is there a Converter that will take the MAME Version and Convert it to a BIN ?

I tried the cvsgd.zip which has the .bin , but I get the NAOMI message saying it is not acceptable by the Board (tried Default, Japan, US and EU). In the Game Test Menu, all showed that it is a Unknown Title

You can directly place naomi.zip and awbios.zip from mame into the retroarch/system/dc folder, that’s the prefered method since this commit from 2 days ago : https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator/commit/996cd721937277d94f5999b1a58ee473e7826f83.

Core options also allow to select region now (as long as the corresponding bios is present in naomi.zip/awbios.zip).

Well that explains a lot… I wondered why the Atomiswave games started working immediately once the BIOS files existed in said directory.

That said, on Linux flatpak installations for Retroarch, the dc folder and all corresponding pieces just need to exists in the same directory where your games are located for those who are wondering… Android is different it seems.

Got capsnk from MAME working in it. Took a while figuring it out. The Core was Updated to accept MAME Naomi Roms as well.