RetroArch freezes when exiting

I’m running RetroArch 1.3.6 stable on Windows 10 and it’s working fine, but when I load a ROM, exit back to RetroArch, and then hit [Escape] to close RetroArch, my monitor turns completely black and even ctrl-alt-delete doesn’t work.

However, the PC isn’t completely frozen because I can remote into my SMB shares and the machine still responds, but RetroArch does something to my monitor that causes it to turn black until I power off the PC and restart it.

Here is my log: http://pastebin.com/7cHkJnXP

Can anybody help me?

My monitor is an Acer X34 (3440x1440 ultrawidescreen).

1 Like

Something about not redrawing the window from what I can tell.

RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL debug (Low, API, Other)]: Texture state usage warning: Texture 0 is base level inconsistent. Check texture size.

Does it do the same thing with bsnes_mercury_balanced_libretro.dll?

Have you tried it without the shaders enabled?

Try turning off full screen and see what happens then too.

Also, maybe pressing f will get you out of fullscreen when you’re locked. It’s displaying black because it’s a ‘blank’ texture. If you hit F1 again, does it bring you back into the game?

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the exact same problem and google keeps bringing me back here :confused:

Sorry for the lack of replies but I haven’t used retroarch/libretro in a while so I don’t have any updates to this issue. Sorry!

Are you using windowed or exclusive fullscreen?

I’ve been using exclusive fullscreen, and if I try to switch to windowed mode I still get a black screen. However, after some testing today I found that if I start emulation windowed then I can switch to fullscreen without any issues.

I also have this issue when using MAME 2016. When i press escape 1 time out of 10 it will freeze.

I’m using Windowed Fullscreen in Windows 7.

Seems like this bug is very old and unresolved?

Can i just use alt+f4 instead of esc? Is it the same function? Are there any negatives?

Alt+F4 doesn’t fix it. RetroArch still freezes sometimes when exiting with that method.

:frowning:

Is there anything else i can do? It’s pretty important to be able to just exit a game because i run this through an arcade cabinet that gets a lot of use. And every time this happens i have to reset/shutdown the whole machine.

do you have any clues about it? like related settings? Is it all cores or just MAME2016?

I don’t have other cores in the cabinet, just MAME. So i’m not sure.

Now i have to mention that i use Hyperspin/Rocketlaucher and use the MAME 2016 core to launch games.

At first i thought that RetroArch isn’t stable or something. So i used Joytokey to use alt+f4 in one key and kill the emulator this way. That didn’t work, still freezes.

Rocketlauncher uses hotkeys to exit emulators. I had this enabled and the option was set to “esc”. I thought maybe this interferes with RetroArch in some way so i disabled it (i don’t need it anyway, i only use RetroArch).

By disabling the Rocketlauncher hotkeys and using just the default esc RetroArch hotkey looks like it has fixed it. But i’m not sure. I thought alt+f4 fixed it until it freezed again. It’s completely random and somewhat rare so i can’t reproduce it easily.

Ok, keep us posted. If we can pin anything down, we’ll certainly try to fix it.

1 Like

And sure enough, after a lot of usage i got another freeze.

I don’t understand what triggers it. But i do remember exactly what i did before i got the crash. I saved a game config override. Then i exited and RetroArch freezed.

The only way to close it after this is to ctrl+alt+delete in order to bring the task manager on top. Then, if you alt+tab back into RetroArch a new window message appears on top left that allows you to close it.

However, there is one weird that i noticed. Once i got back to RetroArch, the game wasn’t there anymore, only the shader or overlay was visible. And on bottom left of the screen there was a message that a config override is loaded. I didn’t load anything though… i just wanted to exit and it crashed. I don’t know where this message is coming from but maybe it’s a clue?

Anyway, it appears this freeze is happening while i’m setting up the games with overlays, shaders, etc. I don’t think it happened while just playing.

So i’m making another cabinet setup with RetroArch 1.7.7 and MAME 0.212.

The same behavior manifests again. Sometimes the program freezes when i exit a game. The picture just says there without moving, no error no black screens.

The setup is made on an external disk if that matters. Also it happens with MAME when i set up games but i don’t think i ever got it when i just play games i already setup. Maybe the freeze happens when a cfg file is created? I think it got freeze a few times when i manually saved an override.