Saving configurations per core on Wii?

Hi.

I’ve been trying the different 1.7 versions of Retroarch for Wii, but seems I’m incapable of having the program make and use a different config file for each core; something old versions of RA did. Now it doesn’t matter which core I’m using all of them save on the same file.

This is very annoying, as each system uses a different resolution, some may even use several resolutions; and having to change them every-single-time I want to play gets old fast. I tried to make RA save different Config files after setting it up, and it creates them, but when I try to load them the program just uses “retroarch.cfg”, instead the one created by that core.

If it can be done, could anyone please tell me how?

I’ve been using a custom version of Retroarch 1.0.0.2 for a long time, and while the performance for most consoles is great, and is able to save settings per core, I’d really like to have an updated version working as well.

1 Like

BUMP, I could use an answer to this. NES, SNES, CPS-2, and Genesis all use different resolutions. Ideally, I could have a different config file for each core that loads whenever I load a game on a given core.

Looking around the internet, several people could use an answer to this, but for some reason it never came. I tried asking on the Discord Server but the only thing I got was silence… Same thing as here, I suppose. I tried a few times after writing this, but the results have been always the same.

I personally gave up, I don’t expect anything anymore, as much as it pains me to say it.

The old separate config per core thing was removed a couple of years ago. You should be able to set different resolutions, etc. using config overrides, which are basically fragments of a config file that supersede the settings in the main retroarch.cfg when you load a specific core/game.

Set your main settings up and then, when you load a core or game that requires a different resolution, go back into the menu and change it to whatever you want/need and then go back to the quick menu and ‘save core/game override’. From then on, whenever you load the core, the override should kick in and change your settings to match.

2 Likes

Quick Menu > Configuration Override Options (Last option) > Save Core Overrides when running a game is certainly saving resolution now, after setting it in Video Options. I’ll keep messing with it. Thank you a lot, hunterk.

I’d like to ask now that I can: Is there a way to change the controller you use between classic controller and gamecube controller without the chance of locking yourself out of controlling RA menu when changing manually on the Input menu?

Once you land on “None” you simply make yourself unable to move around Retroarch, forcing you to exit through the console buttons and having to erase the config file and start from zero.

Edit: Hmm, SNES cores seem to have some issues. I got a code dump trying to load a game, frame rate and sound issues, and stuck in a black screen when loading a game.