Ubuntu 16.10 Scanning Issue

Using the latest retroarch build on Ubuntu 16.10 I am unable to add any roms to collection. These very same rom files are able to scanned and added just fine on retroarch on my Windows 10 machine, so I am very confused as to why this isn’t working.

I can still load and play the roms just fine, but scanning adds nothing to the collection. Debug console doesn’t output anything during scanning either.

Could this be a permissions issue? How does the collection actually work? I’m finding it difficult to search for any documentation and information on retroarch and libretro.

Try going to the online updater and ‘updated databases’. You might also need to check and make sure that your ‘playlist’ directory is user-writeable. You can check which directory it’s set to by going to settings > directory.

Thanks a lot, looks like it was indeed a permissions issue, making the playlists folder user writeable did the trick.

w00t. glad you got it fixed up :slight_smile:

I’m having a scanning issue too. This does not work for me… using retroarch-git build on Archlinux, I’m unable to scan “Games” directory which contains multiple directories (NES, SNES, PSP, etc).

It reads my PS1 directory just fine. It never occured to me to see if I can keep my PS1 games compressed. The uncompressed rom directories works fine too. The problem is with compressed archives.

I recall being able to scan the compressed roms with stable retroarch version. With nightly, I’m stuck with this problem and can’t find an answer.

I don’t want to unzip everything just to play few things I may or may not like. What am I doing wrong?

what formats are you compressing them as? i use a different format (can’t say what it is)

Default zips. I believe the issue is related to RetroArch refactoring their scanning process somewhere. It’s not picking up anything for me on -git version. Roll down to stable version and it will have no problem picking up thousands. Roll back up. It’s not getting anything for me again under a different directory. Roll back down again. No problem picking new ones.

WORKAROUND SOLUTION: DOWNLOAD MAME OR FB ALPHA AND TRY AGAIN.

Hey guys how do u adjust settings to make ur directory writeable…i have done it using dolphin but whenever i re scan nothing shows up am i missing something ?