Unusual problem with Retroarch on Android Tablet

I just downloaded retroarch on my ellipsis 8 tablet and it isn’t working. I cannot click on anything or scroll through the menu without the notification headers being down on my screen. I installed a core by repeatedly swiping my notification bar down but it still won’t run games. I’ve downloaded the app from the play store, uninstalled it and downloaded it again off the web. Same issue. I’ve gone to developer options and allow a pointer overlay and the touch screen is receiving the correct inputs from me. This video below is exactly what I’m experiencing but it doesn’t help. I’ve read a few others have had this issue but I can’t find a solution. Any ideas?

Apparently this person is having the same issue. I found another post on a github forum [ https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/6999 ] and it doesnt look like his issue was resolved either. I’ll continue looking for a solution, if I find one I’ll be sure to post it here. In the meantime any help would be appreciated.

I guess it’s always registering down scroll. But even when I manipulated the notification bar and installed a core for TurboGrafx 16 it didn’t play the game. The on screen buttons showed up but the game never loaded. I would think it’s a screen size/resolution issue but the first video shows two identical tablets.